Skip Navigation

Program Resources - Showing a Movie on Campus

To show a film for entertainment purposes on campus your group must obtain permission from the copyright owner or obtain a license.  By renting your movie from SWANK Motion Pictures or a similar company who rents to college campuses you are buying the license to show the movie to a large group. Federal Law prohibits the public showing of any copyrighted materials including movies you own or rent from retail vendors. Prices to rent a movie from SWANK ranges from $350-$800 depending on the movie’s release date and its popularity. More information about SWANK Motion Pictures can be found at or by calling 1-800-876-3344.

For more information on copyright infringement, please click on the link.

Privately owned or rented movies still require the purchase of a copyright license.

Rooms may be reserved in the Memorial Union or in many classrooms to show a movie. Equipment to show a movie on, such as TVs, LCD projectors and more may be rented by the Memorial Union (for use in the building) or AV services. For more information on rooms and equipment see Departmental Services.

Back to Program Resources