Skip Navigation

Program Resources - Departmental Services

Audio Visual Services (AV)


28 Shibles Hall, 581-2500

“Audio Visual Service provides equipment and instruction on its use to University students and faculty. The equipment is intended for short projects and classroom presentations. For any other technical equipment or service you may require, contact us. We may be able to provide help.” (taken from the AV Services brochure)

Equipment Available:

  • LCD projectors
  • Laptop Computers
  • Projector Screens
  • Slide Projectors
  • Overhead Projectors
  • Tape Recorders
  • Microphones
  • Tri Pods
  • Portable Sound Systems
  • Digital Still camera
  • Digital Video Cameras
  • Color Monitors
  • VHS & DVD Players

Back to Top

Memorial Gym & Alfond Arena Reservations


To inquire about the Memorial Gym please call Ranee Dow (Administrative Assistant-Memorial Gym) @ 581-1074. Please note that you will need to hire a custodian to clean up after your event.

To inquire about Alfond rentals please call Betty Fadrigon (Administrative Assistant) @ 581-1096. Please note that if the hockey team is in season, you may need to pay for the bus rental and ice time for the team to practice elsewhere.

Back to Top

Bonfire Permits


Carole LeClair, 581-1793

All bonfire requests begin in the Campus Activities & Student EngagementOffice with Carole LeClair (581-1793) You must first come in, fill out a form which will include the date of event, time of event, location, how you will start the fire (plain wood, paper and matchsticks) and how you plan to extinguish it. You will then sign a waiver of responsibility and these will be faxed to the Orono Fire Department and Public Safety by Carole LeClair. You will be given a form to bring to the Orono Fire Department the day of the event and your ability to have a bonfire will be contingent upon Orono Fire Department’s decision.

Remember to notify the Campus Activities & Student Engagement Office several days in advance.

For more information stop by the Campus Activities & Student Engagement Office, 2nd floor Memorial Union or call 581-1793.

Back to Top

Memorial Union Reservations


Within the Memorial Union are rooms for group/organizations to use for meetings and programs. There is also the option of reserving a table in the Union to promote an event/fundraiser your group or organization might be doing. Some equipment, such as easels and TV/VCR/DVDs are available to use in the rooms for a nominal fee.  When reserving a room please know the dates, times and approximate number of people that will be using the room.  To inquire about how to reserve a room or table please call Nancy Morin at 581-1406.  You need to provide details of all equipment you will need for your event.  Some items are able to be rented through Campus Activities other items will be available through AV  Services in Shibles Hall.

Back to Top

Buchanan Alumni House Reservations


Kathy Hill, Buchanan Alumni House Manager, 581-1176

Located just off College Avenue on campus is the Buchanan Alumni House. This building offers space for groups to hold special events. Use of this building may require the payment of a rental fee depending on time & day of event.

Some spaces include:

McIntire Maine Event Room:

Seats up to 120 people at tables or 160 people theatre style offers a large screen, cable TV, VCR, DVD/CD player, projector, & Grand Piano. Setting is formal and private.

Rental fee: There is no charge if used during the normal business hours. The rental fee is $400.00 (for the first 4 hours and $100.00 per hour thereafter) for 5:00 p.m. on. This fee includes the use of the room (no kitchen use), its equipment, including the sound system, tables, & chairs, as well as post-event clean up fees.

Note: This room may not be booked more than three months in advance.

The Courtyard may be used by student groups at no charge during the daytime building hours but will be subject to a $400 rental fee for events that run after hours. This is only a summer rental option and is an open courtyard.

The Andrews Leadership Hall can seat up to 30 people for meetings or a luncheon. Setting is neither formal nor private.

Back to Top

Motor Pool


Michael Hambrock, 581-2645

Please give at least 24 hours notice if you are in need of renting any vehicle. Rentals are not for your own personal use but rather for that of your group/organization. If you have not already been licensed to drive Motor Pool vehicles and would like to be, call Mike Hambrock to set up an appointment.

Please visit for downloadable forms, regulations, and pricing.

For more information on getting licensed or for any other further questions, contact the Motorpool at (207) 581-2645.

Back to Top

Campus Activities & Student Engagement Office


The Campus Activities & Student Engagement Office is a great resource for programmers. Here you can get contracts for your organization reviewed and a list of the appropriate signators for your event.  The Campus Activities & Student Engagement Office is located in rooms 223 and 225 of Memorial Union.

To contact EJ Roach 581-4183 or AnneMarie Reed at 581-1760

To contact the CAB student organization, call 581-1790

To contact Memorial Union Information Booth, call 581-1740

Back to Top

University of Maine Police Department


Chief Roland J. LaCroix Jr., 581-4064

For events expecting attendance in excess of 50 people or more, you need to contact Public Safety to see if the event requires a officer. The current cost of hiring an officer is $30.00 per hour. They need at least two weeks notice if an officer is required at the event, but may make exceptions for obtaining an officer in less than two weeks.  An officer is required if alcohol is served or if there is live music; your group or organization should talk with Chief LaCroix @ (207) 581-4064.

Back to Top

Electric Shop


Phil Albert, 581-2664/2663

Need electrical power for an event? The electric shop can provide you with the following services:

  • Electrician workers’ labor fee is $27/hour (subject to change).
  • A generator- this is free of charge. There is a charge for the cost of fuel and for two workers to deliver and pick it up ($27/hr in labor charges).
  • Free use of  extension cords.

Electricity is available on the mall by South Stevens, Little Hall North End.


Back to Top

Reserving Classrooms


Kimberly Sawtelle, 581-1299

As long as the desired classroom you want is not being used, anyone associated with the UMaine campus may reserve it. Student Organizations may reserve classrooms through Kimberly Sawtelle.

Note that on weekends, academic buildings may be locked, be sure to discuss this with Kimberly Sawtelle

Weekend reservations for classrooms may require the use of a custodian for post-event clean up (Custodial Services @ 581-2649), make sure you discuss this when requesting space.

To reserve a classroom fill out the form online or a paper version and return it to Kimberly Sawtelle, Room 100 Wingate Hall.

Back to Top

Grounds & Facilities Management


Harold Dall, 581-2646

This department provides chairs (metal, folding, non-padded) and tables (30 x 8ft.),  at a fee.  Please contact their office for more information.

Back to Top

Tel-Com (for cell phones for student use)


Lorelei Kennedy, 581-1609

Office staff may rent a cell phone out for $7/day plus usage for a maximum of two weeks for their group/organization’s need.

*Please note that whoever picks up and rents out the phone needs to be a staff member (such as an advisor).

Back to Top

Hauck Auditorium, Minsky Recital Hall & the Pavillion Theater Reservations


David Adkins, 581-1781

Contact David Adkins for space availability, facility fees and policies. These spaces are consistently used by the School of Performing Arts and may not have a large number of available dates.

Back to Top

Wells Commons, Woolley Room(DTAV) & Catering Services


Dawn Aubrey, 581-4706

Prices and availability of these services are always changing.  Call 581-4706 for information on booking these rooms and ordering food or alcohol services through catering.

Back to Top

Collins Center for the Arts & Bodwell Lounge Reservations


Joe Cota, 581-3351

Groups & organizations may rent the Collins Center for the Arts for their event. For a list of fees and answers to specific questions, see or call Joe Cota at the CCA.

If your group wishes to use the Bodwell Lounge (3rd floor of CCA) they may do so at no charge during normal business hours. Evenings and weekends will incur a fee of $50.00 per 4-hour session and will require also paying an hourly rate for a CCA employee to be present in the building during the event. Visit the CCA website at

Back to Top

University Volunteer Ambulance Corps (UVAC) & Fire Marshals


UVAC offers their services for free, for more information call 581-4017. To inquire about Fire Marshals and associated fees contact Orono Fire Department at 866-4000.

Back to Top

Back to Program Resources