General Financial Guidelines

Please Note

  • This is only a “Cheat Sheet” or paraphrasing of the actual policy. To see the entire financial policies, go to the Financial Affairs office, 156 Memorial Union.
  • This is only a guideline to help clubs receive money. Some of the items are subject to change on a case by case basis.
  • Please do not abuse these policies. There are policies in place to punish groups who violate them.


How to Request Money

Overall, a 9-day process to gain access to funding. Try to plan 3-4 weeks in advance of the event.

  1. Forms
    1. Go to the Financial Affairs office, 156 Memorial Union, talk to the AVPFA, Pam Rideout. She will give you the necessary forms (additional funding, white, or office budget, green) to fill out. She can explain any questions you may have. If you wish to print and fill out a form instead, you may access one of the forms here, Additional Funding Request. If you wish to fill out a form for events that involve traveling, please fill out this form, Additional Funding Request With Travel 
    2. If your organization needs funding for equipment related to the organization’s activities, please fill out the Equipment Rental Agreement and attach it to your additional funding request. You may access this form here, Equipment Rental Agreement.
    3. This paperwork must be returned to Frank Kelly, Room 154 Memorial Union, Vice President for Financial Affairs by Friday at 10:00 am to be considered by EBC on Monday and Senate on Tuesday.
  2. EBC
    1. EBC meetings are held Mondays at 5:00 pm in the wade center in the memorial union and must be attended by the president, treasurer, or a member who is extremely involved in the event. Attendance is not necessary when requesting an office budget.
    2. Depending on the night, your club’s meeting with EBC may not start until later. Please ask VPFA, Frank Kelly, what number your club is on the list.
    3. Here you will be questioned about your event and is your best opportunity to explain anything to do with the event and or budget.
    4. An email will be sent to you that night discussing EBC’s recommendation. Any questions about the decision should be directed at VPFA, Frank Kelly. 
  3. Senate
    1. For any recommendation that is $1,000 or more, a club representative must attend the Senate meeting the Tuesday at 6:00 pm following EBC. If no representative shows up, the request will be tabled until the next meeting.
    2. For amounts under $1,000, no representative is required unless a change to the recommendation is warranted.
    3. A senator may amend the resolution for any reason to change the dollar amount or line item.
  4. Cabinet
    1. This committee has the final say on all resolutions. They can veto (reject funding and send back to Senate) or pass it.
    2. Club representatives do not attend.
    3. Meetings are held the Wednesday after Senate meetings.
  5. Check Requests
    1. Once your request passes cabinet, you can request a check or transfer of funds to your UCU account the next day after 12:00 pm, from the AVPFA, Pam Rideout, in room 156, the same office where you picked up a funding request form.
    2. We can either pay a supplier directly, with an invoice or reimburse a club member with appropriate receipts.
    3. Original receipts MUST be turned into the VPFA no later than 15 days after the event has concluded. 
    4. Expenses will only be reimbursed for approved items.
    5. Clubs holding office campus events or traveling must return to a Senate meeting to do a presentation about the experience.


Office Budgets

  • General
    • Office budgets are available to all formally recognized student organizations and are a great way to cover start-up costs.
    • A copy of the office budget can be downloaded and printed here Office Budget.
    • Requests can be for up to $200. If this amount is completely spent, up to another $200 can be requested.
    • Office budgets are for advertising, correspondence, and office-related expenses only. An OB sample can be provided if necessary.
    • EBC can strike lines for items in office budgets and can reduce office budget amounts if necessary. “General” and “miscellaneous” expense items are struck, so please make lines a specific as possible.
    • New lines may be added throughout the year but must be approved by EBC and Senate.
    • Once approved, expense receipts can be returned to the Financial Affairs office for reimbursement. MUST HAVE RECEIPTS.
    • Expenses must be reasonable if they are to be paid. Reasonableness is determined by VPFA, Frank Kelly, and AVPFA, Pam Rideout.
  • Boards and Community Associations
    • Equipment and materials can also be covered in this budget.
    • Can request more than $200 but are generally determined by prior year spending and upcoming events for the year.

Additional Funding Requests

Per Financial Policies:

  • If an on-campus event is funded, there must be no admission, registration, or any other entrance fee for undergraduates. Events must be free to attend and available for all students.
  • No money for:
    • Prizes, gifts, awards, and trophies
    • To influence any political candidate
    • Alcohol (including cash bar)
    • Personal gas (including gas for rented vehicles), tolls, or parking
    • Events that already occurred or expenses paid before Senate approval (no back funding)
    • Late fees or damages
    • Charitable donations over $50 (may go through Executive fund if less than $50 and approved)
    • An organization that owes money to UMSG Inc. or the University of Maine
    • An event during a scheduled University break, unless approved by EBC
    • Food for travel and events that take place 50 miles away from campus
    • Lodging/transportation/registration will not be considered for anyone other than an undergraduate student (i.e., Grad student, advisor)
  • On-Campus Food-$10 per undergraduate (specific limitations apply).
  • Airfare: $200 per person maximum.
  • Registration: $200 per person maximum.
  • Lodging: A reasonable amount (no limit).
  • Maximum of $200 per undergraduate student in total.
  • If a club is affiliated with a Department at the University of Maine, they must seek funding from them.
  • All clubs must seek alternative sources of funding to be considered.
  • All equipment/apparel purchased with allocated money MUST stay with the club.
  • After receiving money for an off-campus event, the club must present at Senate about the trip.
  • Clubs have 45 days to spend additional funding requests. Appeals can be made to increase the time allotted.


EBC Precedents

  • Usually $175 or less per room, per night for lodging.
  • Registration is usually the most salient expense to fund.
  • Equipment that is required to be purchased due to safety concerns is another important expense to fund.
  • Meals and catering are the least likely expenses to be funded.
  • Sport club funding is based on the Tier System.
  • Usually, only 50% or less of an event’s total cost is funded.

Managing Your Club’s Finances

Questions? Contact:

Contact Us

Comments? Suggestions?

Email us:

Interested in requesting money for a club event? Want to utilize an office budget to further expand your organization? Have other questions?

Contact Pam Rideout (, or visit the Wade Center in the Memorial Union to receive the proper paperwork to do so! 

Office Budget Form