Filmed version of Wiemann’s opera “I Give You My Home” to screen around New England

An opera composed by one of UMaine’s own is getting the silver screen treatment, courtesy of a Massachusetts-based opera company.

Beth Wiemann, professor of music and director of the McGillicuddy Humanities Center, wrote the music and libretto for “I Give You My Home,” a work inspired by the life and work of Rose Standish Nichols. The piece has been translated to film by the nontraditional company Guerilla Opera; the film’s director is Cara Consilvio.

Screenings of the film are set to take place in venues all over New England.

March 24 – 7 PM – The Mosesian Center for the Arts, Watertown, MA

March 26 – 7 PM – The Colonial Performing Arts Center, Keene, NH

March 29 – April 2 – The Portland Museum of Art, Portland, ME

In addition, “I Give You My Home” will receive a virtual premiere via livestream on April 6 at 7 PM.

The 45-minute film brings Wiemann’s composition to life via on-location shooting in iconic New England spots. Written for soprano, saxophone and percussion, “I Give You My Home” delves into the world of Rose Standish Nichols, who persisted against the social mores of her time in an effort to be taken seriously by the powers that be.

Her efforts to bring about change via Women’s Suffrage, the Women’s Peace Movement and her own professional career deserve our attention, a striking look at a woman who pushed back against expectations and refused to be stopped by the barriers the world placed in front of her.

The importance of this story – and its universality – made it a logical project for Guerilla Opera and their mission.

“Any woman can relate to Rose’s struggles,” said Guerilla Opera Artistic Director Aliana de la Guardia on the group’s website. “The story of her successes and failures are compelling in profoundly personal ways and inspires questions about the definition of success, and the perception of creative self-employed women then and now.”

These screenings mark the end of a years-long development process for “I Give You My Home.” From early drafts and workshops in late 2020 to these upcoming screenings, it has been a journey for Wiemann’s work. And now, audiences all over New England will get the opportunity to see that work presented in a unique and compelling fashion.

For more information about “I Give You My Home,” visit the Guerilla Opera website here.