University of Maine Social Media Standards
The purpose of this policy and procedure is to ensure quality and appropriate use of approved/official University of Maine social media channels for promotion and information at the University of Maine.
At the University of Maine, we recognize that social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, Tumblr, Pinterest and LinkedIn have become important and influential communication channels for our community. The purpose of using social media channels on behalf of the University of Maine is to support UMaine’s mission, goals, programs and sanctioned efforts, including university news, information, marketing and branding strategies, content and directives. Therefore, when using approved/official UMaine social media channels identified with the University of Maine (e.g. Facebook, Flickr, Twitter and YouTube), it is critical that members of the UMaine community recognize that they are representing the University of Maine to the world at all times. To assist in posting content and managing these sites, the University of Maine offers the following policies and guidelines for official use of social media. These policies and guidelines apply to all UMaine community members using approved/official UMaine social media. These policies and guidelines are not intended to govern or restrict personal presence on the web, nor are these guidelines intended to restrict employee rights to engage in concerted, protected activity related to the terms and conditions of their employment.
- Approval of Official UMaine Social Media Accounts:
Employees who wish to set up official social media accounts and speak on behalf of the University of Maine through social media must receive permission from both their department/organization head and the Division of Marketing and Communications prior to setting up the social media account. Once you have received permission from your department/organization head, please contact the Manager of Web Development to discuss issues such as confidentiality, privacy, FERPA, web accessibility.
- University of Maine Web Standards:
UMaine Web Standards policy and procedure regarding contact information, accuracy, confidential information, advertising/sponsorship, copyright, usage of University of Maine name, and spelling/grammar, apply equally to official University of Maine social media channels. Please contact the Manager of Web Development for assistance.
- University of Maine News Announcements:
University of Maine Public Relations and News Media policy and procedure regarding news releases, media advisories and campus announcements, apply equally to official University of Maine social media channels. Please contact the Manager of News Services for assistance.
- University of Maine Name, Seal and Logos (Branding):
UMaine Name, Seal and Logos policy and procedure applies equally to official University of Maine social media channels. Social media sites provide varying degrees of flexibility in allowing account holders to style pages. For UMaine logo usage and branding standards, please see the University of Maine Brand Standards Guide (umaine.edu/marketingandcommunications). Please contact the Manager of Creative Services for assistance.
Video must be approved by the Web Office prior to posting on approved/official UMaine social media channels or pages. For approval of video for online posting, please contact the Manager of Web Development.
- Social Media Dialogue:
Many social media sites promote commenting and online dialogue, the tone of which is generally informal. Despite its informal tone, all online dialogue is public. Please remember that anything you write can and will be viewed by current and future UMaine community members and constituencies as well as other colleagues and possible future employers.
When engaging in dialogue on official University of Maine social media sites:
- We request that you refrain from discussing or expressing opinions regarding University of Maine policies, operations and personnel. Such comments may be removed at the University of Maine’s discretion.
- Exercise discretion, respect and thoughtfulness toward all dialogue participants.
- Maintain professional language and tone.
- Confidential or proprietary University of Maine information or similar information of third parties, who have shared such information with you on behalf of the University of Maine, must not be shared publicly on official University of Maine social media channels.
- Official University of Maine social media accounts may choose to post University of Maine-related social media content generated by UMaine community members, including faculty, staff and/or students. Official University of Maine social media accounts can be accessed online, and include:
Remember that your statements and responses represent the University of Maine to the world at all times.
The Division of Marketing and Communications recognizes that the world of social media continues to evolve. If you have any questions about whether specific content is appropriate for posting on these social media sites, please contact the Senior Manager of Web Development and Social Media in the Division of Marketing and Communications.