Revised Weapon Storage Policy
WEAPON STORAGE FOR ON CAMPUS STUDENTS
Although there is a “no weapons” policy on the UMaine campus, we have a number of students who live on campus that use firearms and bows for hunting and sporting purposes. We want to provide on campus students with safe secure storage so that they can enjoy hunting when they have free time.
- Only unloaded Weapons will be stored at UMPD! If you are found with a firearm in your room, or in your vehicle, this is a conduct code violation and you will be referred to the conduct office for adjudication.
- Only hunting or target weapons will be stored at UMPD.
- Your weapon must be unloaded and in a gun case (preferably soft) for storage at UMPD. This is to ensure the safety of the UMPD personnel handling the weapon, and to minimize the occurrence of an accidental discharge.
- Each student will be allowed to store one weapon at a time. We have limited space and ask that you bring only the weapon that you will be using for the time being. You can always exchange out your weapon for another.
- There will be a records check of the weapon and individual upon initial storage and final removal. A picture ID MUST be presented when removing your weapon.
- It MUST also be in the case when being transported on, or off campus. We will not release your weapon to anyone other than who the weapon is registered to. Please do not ask friends, or relatives to retrieve your weapon for you.
*Reviewed by Student Life and University Counsel – June 2019