The University of Maine’s licensing program ensures that merchandise bearing the University of Maine trademarks uphold the university’s image and fulfill the promise of quality to customers. Royalties collected are earmarked for UMaine scholarships.

Who needs a license?
Any manufacturer of products bearing a mark of the University of Maine must be licensed before offering the product for sale. Retail outlets are responsible for ensuring that the merchandise they sell is licensed.

What qualifies as a University of Maine trademark?
A University of Maine trademark is any name, word, symbol or device used to identify the goodwill and/or services of the University of Maine.


  • University of Maine
  • UMaine
  • Maine Black Bears
  • Black Bears

Who is responsible for the university’s licensing program and how do I become licensed?
The University of Maine contracts with a collegiate licensing company — Licensing Resource Group (LRG). LRG provides more than 120 colleges and universities with core management needs, such as royalty management compliance and enforcement, and merchandising and brand development. Visit LRG’s website for information about becoming licensed.

Day-to-day administrative licensing reviews are handled through the Division of Marketing and Communications via LRG’s online approval system. Licensees submit product designs to LRG and LRG sends them to the Division of Marketing and Communications for final approval.

Use of graphical works is not largely permitted without first obtaining permission. This may surprise many people who think that a cartoon or drawing can be freely used once it has been published in a newspaper, book or website — it is not the case. Permission to use cartoons or photos may be arranged through syndicates or associations. Contact Creative Services at 207.581.3754 if you have questions.

Planning to order a product bearing a mark of the University of Maine for your department, group or club? Are you selling the items or giving it away?
Any branded University of Maine item that is being being sold must be ordered through a licensed vendor. Licensed vendors have access to official art files and they have a streamlined approval process to ensure that the product has been reviewed and approved. They are also responsible for the collection of royalties.

A list of University of Maine licensed vendors can be found on Learfield’s website.

It is strongly recommended that items not being sold are also ordered through licensed vendors because of familiarity with UMaine’s brand standards, access to official art files and the streamlined proofing process. However, unlicensed vendors may be used with written approval from the Division of Marketing and Communications. An approved proof is required for approval prior to production by an unlicensed vendor.

Anti-­Sweatshop information
UMaine’s licensing partner, Learfield Licensing Partners require all active licensees to disclose detailed information regarding manufacturing locations used to produce licensed merchandise. Manufacturers applying for a license are required to disclose this information during the application process.

Minimally, we require each licensee to adhere to the code set forth by the Fair Labor Association (FLA). Visit FLA’s website to view their Code of Conduct.