Independent Study

Chairs/Directors: If any AFUM member in your unit is teaching an Independent Study during a fall or spring semester, you’ll need to submit an Independent Study Course Approval Form to

Once the Dean’s Office notifies you of approval, your department must also initiate overload payment through the SmartSheet payroll system.

Payment is not required if the Independent Study is either in-load for the faculty member or contributes to the faculty member’s research program.

The University of Maine policy concerning compensation for independent instruction can be found here.