Emergency Actions

If the campus-wide siren sounds, do the following:

  • Check your cell phone for a text message
  • Check UMaine.edu for emergency information
  • Check your email

If those options are not available, call 581-INFO (581-4636) to listen to a recorded message with more information.


This is the basic employee response plan for emergencies on campus.  Each department has an area-specific plan detailing alarm systems, major hazards, exit routes, rally points and specific responsibilities. Contact your supervisor for a copy of your plan.


Upon the sounding of the alarm or detection of an emergency that requires evacuation.

Alert Others

If you are the person that detects the emergency you should verbally warn others in the area, activate the evacuation alarm system, and call public safety from a safe place. (911 from a campus phone or 581-4040 from your cell phone.)

Rally Point

Evacuate to your department designated Rally Point and stay there until released by your supervisor.

Use of Emergency Equipment

It is policy to evacuate the building immediately in case of a fire or other emergency. Only those people who are specifically trained may use emergency equipment

For Further Information

Contact your supervisor or call Safety and Environmental Management 1-4055 or go to the Safety and Environmental Management website.


If you require an ambulance call: 911

Give the dispatcher the following information:

  • Nature of injury.
  • Location of injured person.
  • Special hazards in the area.
  • Name of the injured party if available.
  • Your name and phone number.
  • Do not hang up until the dispatcher releases you.

Render assistance to others, only if you can do so safely, have been trained in first aid, and can utilize the proper personal protective equipment.  Do not move an injured person unless they are in immediate danger. If possible meet the ambulance or have someone meet the ambulance and guide the responders to the injured person.

There are public Automatic Emergency Defibrillators (AED) located in the Maine Center for the Arts near the ticket office, at Fogler Library next to information booth, in the Memorial Union near the information booth and in the hallway between the Field House and the Pit in the Memorial Gymnasium.  The AED is identified by and contained in a white box with a blue label.


In the event of a fire emergency follow your area-specific emergency action plan. Activate the alarm system and call 911 from a safe place.  Fires can be prevented by following proper procedures including:  proper storage and use of flammable chemicals, and good housekeeping.  Hands-on fire extinguisher training is available from Facilities Management, call 1-3049 for further information.  For more information about fire prevention and plans call Safety and Environmental Management at 1-4055 or go to the Safety and Environmental Management website


To report a crime in progress such as a fight, a theft, or suspicious activity call 911. Tell the dispatcher:

  • Nature of the emergency.
  • Whether or not the incident is still occurring.
  • Location of incident.
  • Who you are and how you can be reached.


To report a crime that has already occurred, please call the Public Safety dispatcher at 1-4040.  If you want information on Crime Prevention or registration of valuable property, please call the crime prevention officer at 1-4036.  Also available on the Police Department website

The Security in an Academic Environment Policy available at the Safety and Environmental Management website addresses security for the University of Maine.


Follow your area-specific emergency action plan.

Most spills can be prevented by proper transport, storage, and use of chemicals.  Do not clean up a chemical spill unless you have received specific chemical spill clean-up training and can perform the clean-up safely.  For further information see your supervisor or call Safety and Environmental Management at 1-4055. More information may also be found at the Safety and Environmental Management website


All known or suspected petroleum products spills (to include gasoline, heating oil, diesel fuel, etc.) and gas leaks (to include LP, Chlorine, etc.) are to be promptly reported to the Public Safety Department by calling 911 from a safe place.  When calling, be specific as to the building and location of the spill or leak. Precautions should be taken to prevent and contain leaks and spills.


What to do in the event of a bomb threat:

1.  If you receive information about a bomb in a University building,

  • Notify Public Safety – 911.
  • DO NOT pull the fire alarm.
  • Take notes if possible; attempt to obtain a time and any other pertinent information from the source of information.

2.  Appropriate units will be dispatched to the threatened building to conduct a quiet search or to evacuate the building, as the University Public Safety deems necessary.


Follow your area-specific emergency action plan.

If an explosion occurs in your building, evacuate immediately. Do not re-enter the building until it is declared safe by the authorities.


Employees working in areas where radioactive materials are used must receive appropriate instructions for handling emergencies.

In the event of an incident involving ionizing radiation or radioactive materials:

  • Evacuate the area and immediately notify Public Safety, call 911.
  • When telephoning for emergency service, tell the dispatcher that radioactive materials are present.
  • After notification, take every precaution to prevent further release, spread, or needless tracking of radioactive materials.

For further information consult the Radiation Safety Program at the Safety and Environmental Management website or call Safety and Environmental Management at 1-4055.


What to do in the event of a fire, explosion, or chemical release emergency:

Follow your area-specific emergency action plan.

If you are unable to evacuate the building:

  • Evacuate to the designated area of refuge. (Typically  in or near stairwell)
  • If an area of refuge is not available go to a safe area and call 911.

If you need an accommodation to carry out your area-specific emergency action plan, please identify that need to your supervisor so that arrangements can be made.  Further assistance can be obtained from Safety and Environmental Management at 1-4055.


All work related injuries/illnesses (whether they result in medical attention or not) are reported. Supervisors should refer to the UMS Risk Management and Insurance website for specific procedures. Supervisors will utilize the incident report under the subcategory Injuries to Employees-Workers Compensation and follow the instruction on the form.

Injuries and property damage sustained by visitors, students, or the general public

Complete the Incident Report Form to report injuries or property damages sustained by visitors, students or the general public alleged to have been caused by the university or occurring on university property or during a university activity or event. Do not use this form for auto accidents or employee injuries.

Fax the completed form to the UMaine Campus Risk Management Administrator at 581.2673.

Students routine medical aid

Report to Cutler Health Center (west side of building toward Bennett Hall). Refer to the center’s website for hours of operation.

After hours and weekend care

Clinicians are also available after hours and on weekends. These services may be provided at EMMC Orono Family Medicine, located on Kelley Road in Orono, or at Walk-In Care, located on Union Street in Bangor. Call 581.4000, to get in touch with the after-hours on-call service.




Good health habits are an important way to help prevent the Flu:

  • Clean your hands often
  • Cover your mouth and nose  when coughing or sneezing
  • Avoid close contact. When you are sick, stay home if possible, keep your distance from others.

For more information check the CDC website at www.cdc.gov

Lyme Disease

Lyme Disease is found in many areas of New England and has now spread to Maine. This is a potentially debilitating disease spread by deer ticks.  More information on this disease can be obtained from the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention website at http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/health.shtml

West Nile Virus (WNV)

WNV is a disease that can lead to an infection called encephalitis (swelling of the brain). WNV is spread by the bite of an infected mosquito. Most mosquito bites do not lead to WNV because very few mosquitoes are infected. However, people over 50 and those with weakened immune systems are at higher risk for serious illness from WNV infection. More information can be obtained from the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention, http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/health.shtml

Rabies/Animal Bites

If you or someone else has been bitten by a wild or domestic animal, report the incident to Public Safety at 911 immediately. Identify the animal by kind, size, color and place the animal was last seen. Medical attention needs to be obtained immediately and follow ups must be conducted to ensure the safety of UMaine faculty, staff and students.

Suspicious Animal Behavior: Animals exhibiting aggressive behavior or if you suspect an animal has rabies. Symptoms of rabies may include: an animal that is obviously sick; is exhibiting unusual behavior; or has died under mysterious circumstances. Do not move or otherwise touch the animal. Notify the UMaine Public Safety office at 911.

Human Bodily Fluids

If you discover what you suspect is blood or other bodily fluids:

  • Don’t touch it.
  • Keep others away.
  • Call 911 and report the incident, they can dispatch people who are trained to decontaminate the area.
  • Do not clean blood or other bodily fluids unless you have proper PPE and have completed your annual BBP training.


All weekday gas, water, or electric utility interruptions on the Orono Campus should be reported to the Work Control Center at 1-4400. On nights and weekends, report interruptions to the Public Safety dispatcher at 1-4040. If it is necessary to shut off gas, water, or electricity to points on campus, the Facilities Management staff will give advance notice, if possible, to all building managers affected.

When electrical power is lost:

  • Extinguish any flames and terminate any experiments. Ventilation through the chemical fume hood ceases with the power loss and may not automatically return with the power.
  • Turn off as much electrical equipment as possible to minimize the electrical load when power is restored.  This also protects the equipment from voltage fluctuations.
  • If persons are trapped in the elevators, call 911 as necessary.
  • Do not open refrigerators or freezers unless absolutely necessary.
  • Long term power outages may require the evacuation of the building.


Emergencies on the Orono campus requiring the services of the Facilities Management shops should be reported to the Work Control Center at 1-4400. The shops include the Carpenter Shop; Electrical Shop; Locksmith Shop; Paint Shop (for glass); Plumbing Shop (includes propane gas); and Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning, Roofing, Grounds and Garage.

If there is no answer at the above number, call the Public Safety dispatcher at 1-4040.


Asbestos and lead containing building materials have been identified in buildings on campus built prior to 1980. Asbestos is most often a component of the following building materials: ceiling tiles and their adhesives, floor tiles and their adhesives, duct installation and tapes, laboratory counter tops, fume hoods, and pipe insulation. Not all types and forms of these materials contain asbestos. It is important that you do not disturb these materials by moving, removing, breaking, cracking or dismantling them. Contact the OFM Asbestos and Lead Project Manager for an assessment should you encounter these materials in poor condition or damaged. Lead is most often found in interior and exterior paints used on older buildings on campus. Should you encounter peeling paints, please contact the Asbestos and Lead Project Manager for assessment.

Neither asbestos nor lead pose health risks when they are intact, such as intact floor tiles, ceiling tile, or pipe insulation or paint.

Asbestos and Lead Project Manager: 1-3063


Shelter-in-place is a method of self-protection from airborne contaminants. In the case of a release of toxic airborne material, shelter-in-place can be more effective than an evacuation. The following check list should be used when a shelter-in-place is ordered:

  1. Close all doors, including internal doors, and lock all windows (windows seal better when locked).
  2. Seal any gaps around windows and doors with tape or wet towels. (The bottom of doors are especially prone to leak). Close curtains and drapes.
  3. Extinguish any open flame such as Bunsen burners and gas stoves.
  4. Window air conditioners should be turned off, inlets switched to closed position, and vents sealed with tape and plastic sheeting, wax paper, or aluminum wrap, if possible.
  5. Chemical fume hoods should be turned off after experiments are terminated, then sashes should be lowered and sealed shut.
  6. Turn off all exhaust fans such as bathroom and kitchen fans, then seal fan openings.
  7. Do not use elevators as they can act as pistons pulling air in from the outside.
  8. Do not use the telephone except for emergency purposes to avoid overloading the phone system.
  9. If the fumes begin to bother you, breathing through a damp cloth or handkerchief can many times offer some relief.
  10. Listen to radio and television for announcements or call 1-3473 for information.
  11. When the situation is over, open all doors and windows and place ventilation on 100% fresh air to remove any contaminants that have built up inside the building.

(This is not an alternative to evacuating a building when the alarm sounds, shelter-in-place only when directed to do so by authorities.)


If you receive a package or letter that you suspect may be a terrorist threat, then:

  • Do not handle or move the suspicious mail.
  • DO NOT pull the fire alarm.
  • Exit the immediate area and ask others to do the same;
  • Avoid tracking any spilled materials;
  • Secure the area by closing and locking the door, or other means to keep people away;
  • Wash your hands and other areas of exposed skin vigorously with soap and water; (If possible have someone else call 911 while you are washing)
  • Call 911.
  • Public Safety officials will respond to assess the situation and determine what further action is required.