Blue Sky Innovation and Economic Development Initiatives
In year three of the Blue Sky Project, the focus is on integrating the plan’s strategies and goals into the organizational structure of the university. Just as the Blue Sky Strategic Plan was developed through an inclusive process, integration will emerge through collaboration.
In Progress Blue Sky Innovation and Economic Development Initiatives:
- Reorganize/restructure relevant UMaine units into a new Division of Innovation and Economic Development, and restructure the Associate Vice President for Research, Economic Development and Government Relations position into the Vice President for Innovation and Economic Development to lead campus efforts for innovation and economic development more effectively and enhance working relationships with academic units (Pathway 1)
- Establish interdisciplinary Faculty Task Groups to review signature strength and emerging growth areas for priority funding initiatives (Pathway 1) (Shared with Academic Affairs)
- Optimize the internship and co-op opportunities for UMaine students, creating the “Flagship Internship Program” (Pathway 4) (Shared with Academic Affairs and Student Life).
Emerging Blue Sky Innovation and Economic Development Initiatives:
- Develop and implement a Faculty Leadership Academy to provide professional development to the next generation of faculty leaders to enabling strong public advocacy and messaging (Pathway 3) (Shared with Academic Affairs, Human Resources)
- The advent of the Blue Sky Faculty Fellows Program, with 20 outstanding faculty members chosen from among all of the colleges to engage in highly focused professional development and leadership opportunities (Pathways 1, 3)
More detail about Innovation and Economic Development accomplishments can be read in the Annual Report, Blue Sky Impacts. Specific documents related to Blue Sky Initiatives can be read in the Blue Sky Archive.