We are working on projects in western Maine/northern New Hampshire, Scotland, Greenland, Mongolia, New Zealand, South America, and Antarctica.
Learn about the researchers and students in our group.
Like us on Facebook!
View photos from past and present research projects from all over the world. See more.
Read about past research projects, locations and people.
See data from our past projects here.
- New paper out, led by collaborators at NUI Galway, including graduate student Adrienne Foreman and UM alum Gordon Bromley. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.palaeo.2022.110901
Former UM graduate student, Stephanie Heath, along with research group members Brenda Hall and George Denton and collaborators Gideon Henderson and Chris Hendy, just published a new paper on the Royal Society Range region of Antarctica in Quaternary Science Reviews. For a limited time, the paper is downloadable for free from:
- May 2021: Zander was featured in this article in the Bangor Daily News!
- May 2021: New graduate student Zander Roman was interviewed for this article in the UMaine News!
- May 2021: Lauren Carver and Zander Roman graduated this week and will continue their work at UMaine as graduate students!
- April 2021: Undergraduate Lauren Carver and graduate Alexander Audet awarded best presentations at the Geological Society of Maine spring meeting
- March 2021: Undergraduate Zander Roman awarded the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
- March 2021: Faculty member Dr. Aaron Putnam granted tenure
- March 2021: Members of the UMaine team recently published three papers in Quaternary Science Reviews:
-The Zealandia Switch: Ice age climate shifts viewed from Southern Hemisphere moraines
-Holocene glacial history of Renland Ice Cap, East Greenland, reconstructed from lake sediments
-Multiple glacial maxima of similar extent at ~20-45 ka on Mt. Usborne, East Falkland, South Atlantic region
- February 2021: Dr. Brenda Hall, along with other extraordinary women including Maine astronaut Jessica Meir, gave her advice on how to stay strong during times of social isolation in this interview with Bustle Magazine!
- June 2020: Former Masters student Jill Pelto’s artwork is featured on Time Magazine’s new cover: 2020 is our last, best chance to save the planet. Read more about the edition here and check out Jill’s website to learn more about how she uses real climate data in her art to effectively communicate scientific research. Congratulations Jill!
- June 2020: Congratulations to Dr. Brenda Hall who was awarded the Rising Tide Career Recognition Award! Learn more about her work here. Also, keep a look out for information on a public celebration coming Fall 2020!
- May 2020: Dr. Brenda Hall was elected a Geological Society of America Fellow! Congratulations! Read more here.
- April 2020: Graduate student Tess Walther was awarded a Maine Space Grant Consortium summer fellowship! She’ll be looking at recent variations in alpine glacier terminus positions in Southern McMurdo Sound, Antarctica, using field observations and NASA Satellite Imagery.
- March 2020: Dr. Brenda Hall and PhD student Scott Braddock were interviewed by Pine Tree Watch about their work on the International Thwaites Glacier Collaboration. Read the article here!
- February 2020: Graduate students Peter Strand and Laura Mattas are having an excellent field season in New Zealand! Head to this instagram page to see some beautiful pictures of the field and their work taken by photographer Jasmin Shah.
- January 2020: Aaron Putnam, George Denton, Peter Strand, and Laura Mattas arrive in New Zealand for another exciting field season of glacial geomorphological mapping and cosmogenic dating! Head to the Current Research page to learn more.