Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs for Chemistry Graduate Program

  1. I don’t have enough money to pay the application fee.  Can I get a fee waiver?

At this time, the only application fee waiver options at the Graduate School are for the following scenarios:

  • IRT Scholars will receive an application fee waiver.
  • McNair Scholars will receive an application fee waiver.
  • Current and former US Armed Forces members/dependents will receive an application fee waiver.
  • Alumni from a University of Maine System institution will receive an application fee waiver.

When specific programs announce an application fee waiver for a specific time period, the graduate school will notify everyone who has started an appropriate application.

  1. Are GRE or GMAT scores required?

Graduate examination scores (GRE and/or GMAT) are required by the Graduate School, but they may not be required for the program to which you are applying. The department of Chemistry does not require GREs for domestic students; however, for international students it is recommended.

  1. I come from an English speaking school. Is a TOEFL required or English proficiency exam?

The department of Chemistry generally admits students on a T.A. (teaching assistantship); therefore, if you wish for T.A. funding then yes, you must provide proof of an English proficiency exam either in the form of a TOEFL, IELTs, or a DuoLingo exam.  In order to be considered for T.A. funding there are minimum scores that a student must meet.  TOEFL = 98; IELTs = 7; DuoLingo = 130

  1. What is the application deadline for review of applicants?

For the department of Chemistry, we like to receive all application materials by Jan 15 for a fall admission with decisions forthcoming throughout the months of February and March.  For a spring admission, application materials should be received by September 15 with decisions forthcoming in the months of October and November.

  1. Must I choose a research advisor to work with prior to starting my program?

No, you do not have to choose a research advisor prior to being admitted.  Students will begin meeting with potential research advisors during their first semester.  They will complete a form of preferred research advisor and submit it to the graduate program coordinator who will then in turn present student’s choice to the graduate faculty committee who then approve (or not) the student’s choice.