- Ph.D. University of British Columbia 1986
- M.A. Honours, University of St. Andrews 1979
- Historical Geography
- Expansion of Europe overseas
- Eastern Canada and northeastern United States
- American cartography in the early 20th century
- GEO 212/HTY 212 Geography of Maine
- GEO/HTY 349 Early Modern North America in Atlantic Perspective
- ANT 490: Seminar in North American Historical Geography
- GEO 275/HTY 275: Geography of Globalization
Awards and Honors
- John Brinckerhoff Jackson Prize, American Association of Geographers, for Picturing America, 2018
- University of Maine System Trustee Professor, 2016
- Best “Book/Atlas” and “Best of Show,” Cartography and Geographic Information Society, for Historical Atlas of Maine, 2016
- Maine Literary Award for Excellence in Publishing, Maine Writers and Publishers Alliance, for Historical Atlas of Maine, 2016
- Globe Award, American Association of Geographers, for Historical Atlas of Maine, 2016
- Pierre Savard Award, International Council for Canadian Studies, for Surveyors of Empire, 2013
- John Lyman Book Award in the category Naval and Maritime Science and Technology, North American Society for Oceanic History, for Surveyors of Empire, 2012
- Publication of the Year Award, Prince Edward Island Museum and Heritage Foundation, for Surveyors of Empire, 2012
- Caird Short-term Research Fellowship, National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, 2007
- Cleo Award (Atlantic Canada), Canadian Historical Association, for Nineteenth-Century Cape Breton, 1993
- Commonwealth Scholarship, 1979-1984
Other Selected Publications
- (with Margaret Pearce), “Making the Coming Home Map,” Cartographica 55, 3 (2020): 170-176
- (With Graeme Wynn), “Eldorado North?” in The Nature of Canada, edited by Colin M. Coates and Graene Wynn, 101-121. (Vancouver, BC: On Point Press, a UBC Press imprint, 2019).
- ‘Geographies of the British Atlantic World’ in Britain’s Oceanic Empire: Atlantic and Indian Ocean Worlds, c.1550-1850, edited by H.V. Bowen, Elizabeth Mancke, and John G. Reid, 15-44. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- ‘Discovering the Mercantile City in South Asia: The Example of Early Nineteenth-Century Calcutta.’ Journal of Historical Geography 23, 2 (1997): 135-151.
- ‘The Gilded Age and the Making of Bar Harbor.’ Geographical Review 83, 4 (1993): 455-469.
- ‘Patterns of Scottish Emigration to Canada, 1750-1870.’ Journal of Historical Geography 18, 4 (1992): 397-417.
- ‘Staple Trades, Subsistence Agriculture, and Nineteenth-Century Cape Breton Island.’ Annals of the Association of American Geographers 79, 3 (1989): 411-435.
Current Research and Writing
- Cod Coasts: Cultural Landscapes of the Cod Fishery from Cape Cod to Labrador (writing completed)
- Cotton’s Ocean: Yankee Shipowners and the Trans-Atlantic Cotton Trade (writing in progress)
- Twentieth Century American Popular Cartography (research in progress)
- Editor of Martyn J. Bowden, Great Ports of the Mercantile Era (editing completed)