Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | my UMaine | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Emergency

Student Employment

Site Navigation:

International Students

Work Hour Limits

Per Department of Homeland Security and Department of State regulations, international students in F-1 or J-1 status are allowed to work (on-campus) 20 hours per week while classes are in session. During breaks longer than 5 consecutive days, international students in F-1 or J-1 status are able to work 40 hours per week.


F-1 students do not need specific work authorization to work on-campus other than the Student Employment Authorization Form.

J-1 students must obtain work authorization from the Office of International Programs (OIP) before beginning employment. Download a request for work authorization here (PDF) and submit to the OIP. The OIP will notify you when it is ready. You will need to present this work authorization to the Payroll Office.

Students in F-1 and J-1 status will need to apply for a U.S. Social Security Number.

Visit the Office of International Programs in 100 Winslow Hall to pick up an application packet.

Image Description:


Additional Links

Contact Information

Student Employment
5781 Wingate Hall
Orono, Maine 04469
Phone: (207) 581-1349 | Fax: (207) 581-3261E-mail:
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469