Community Impact - By the Numbers
Overall Economic Impact of the University of Maine
- UMaine’s day-to-day operations and student and visitor spending contribute $780.9 million in total output (i.e., sales revenue) to the Maine economy, and support 9,951 full- and part-time jobs that provide $338.4 million in income to Maine workers (including multiplier effects) (2012).
- For every dollar the state invests in UMaine through the Maine Economic Improvement Fund, researchers leverage $5 from outside sources (2012).
- Aggregate lifetime earnings payoff related to the degrees earned by a single graduating class at UMaine is $590.9 million of additional income to the Maine economy.
- UMaine holds 99 percent of the patents granted within the University of Maine System, with more than 100 U.S. and foreign patents issued and pending.
- UMaine’s inventory of high-tech specialized equipment has more than $30 million in value and is shared with research institutions throughout Maine.
- UMaine has a statewide economic development presence with five R&D and Extension field stations and 16 county Extension offices.
- UMaine has received more than $2.8 million in revenues from industrial partnerships.
To read more University of Maine Points of Pride, visit umaine.edu/pointsofpride.