Scholarships for Students with Disabilities
Five scholarships for students with disabilities are made available during the school year. Applications for the five scholarships for students with disabilities are accepted toward the end of each Fall semester. A subcommittee of the President’s Council on Disabilities reviews the scholarship essays and selects the awardee’s prior to finals week. The amount of each scholarship varies from year to year as they are endowed awards. To be sure to receive all up to date scholarship information, students should contact Disability Support Services to be put on the scholarship mailing list and disability e-mail folder. Below is a description of the scholarships available and an approximate award range:
Class of 1963 Scholarship: Open to any disability.
Albert Conley Scholarship: Preference given to students with speech or language impairments.
Maine Vocational Rehabilitation Thank You Scholarship: Designed for students enrolled in State of Maine Vocational Rehabilitation.
Veronica Barry Scholarship: Preference will be given to students with physical disabilities who may have specific equipment needs. Students with general assistance needs will also be considered. Veronica Berry applicants must provide an estimate or quote of the equipment’s cost from a reputable vendor.
Henriette C. Murphy Scholarship: Open to all undergraduate students with disabilities meeting the following GPA and enrollment criteria. Given by her family to honor, Henriette, and her dedication and lifelong work with persons with disabilities.
- Must have a Grade Point Average of 2.5.
- Must be enrolled at least part-time in a 2 or 4 year degree program:
Undergraduate – 6 credit hours
Graduate - 3 credit hours
- Candidate must be enrolled for current semester.
- Financial need.
- Typed essay (including name, address, Student ID) must be submitted (not to exceed one page). Explain the nature of your disability and how you have learned to deal with it as a student here at the University of Maine. Also explain what field you hope to pursue upon completion of your studies. (Feel free to include any other information you wish).
- One letter of recommendation is required.
- Students applying for the Maine Vocational Rehabilitation Thank You Scholarship should have their Voc. Rehab. Counselor send a brief letter of confirmation of that support. Applicants who sent in Voc. Rehab. confirmation last year do not need to confirm again this year.
Deadline for filing application is set each Fall semester.
Recipients will be notified by finals week.
Return complete application to:
Ann Smith 207.581.2319
Disability Services, University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469