Overview - Laptop Requirements
All Chemical and Bioengineering students entering in the fall of 2010 or later are required to have a laptop by the spring term of their first year. This helps the department overcomes limitations of a crowded computer cluster. Our faculty integrates use of software packages in teaching and active learning, and introduces them to students as part of their classes. Students then have the capability to use those packages on their personal laptop computers during or outside of class. Students may purchase their laptop from any vendor of choice as long as selected unit meets or exceeds the following system specifications.
Recommended hardware requirements
- Dual-core or quad-core 64-bit Intel or AMD processor
- At least 4.0 GB of memory (RAM)
- 320 GB hard drive or more
- CD/DVD drive or burner
- Wireless network connection
Recommended operation system
- Windows 8.1 or higher
- Windows 7 SP1 or higher
Other operating system selected must be capable of running Windows applications at full-compatibility.
Recommended software requirements
- Virus and spyware protection software.
- Microsoft Office Suite 2013 or later. Students can purchase discounted academic license of Microsoft Office suite at University of Maine Computer Connection.
- Mathcad Prime 3.0/Mathcad 15 Student Edition or later. This is required for in-class use in the spring term of the first year.