Welcome to the Tutor Program
The Tutor Program, a unit of the University of Maine’s College Success Programs, provides tutoring for UMaine students who need academic assistance in 100 and 200 level courses. Small group tutoring is available at no additional cost to students.
- Peer tutors are hired to work with small groups of students two times per week throughout the semester.
- Sessions are held Monday through Friday (during the day or evening) and are held over Zoom.
- Tutor groups consist of students who are in the same course and have the same instructor.
- Students learn how to conceptualize course material, sharpen reasoning and questioning skills, and utilize available resources to become stronger, interdependent learners.
- Sessions are process-oriented, learner-centered, and require the active involvement of each student.
College Reading and Learning Association’s (CRLA) International Tutor Program Certification has certified the University of Maine’s Tutor Program through 2022. This certification recognizes that the Tutor Program plays a vital role in enhancing student learning.
Photographs of students not wearing masks were taken prior to the coronavirus pandemic. The University of Maine and University of Maine at Machias follow federal and state Centers for Disease Control and Prevention health and safety guidance, which includes social distancing and use of face coverings for the start of the 2020–21 academic year.
The Tutor Program, a part of UMaine’s Division of Lifelong Learning, stands against racism. Please click here to read a statement addressing this important issue.