Frequently Asked Questions

Puzzle piece with a question on it being put in the last open spot on a puzzle with "FAQ" in it

Making a choice about which university to attend can be a difficult process for any student! Often having information about different services available on campus can make all the difference when making that decision. Therefore Student Accessibility Services (SAS) has prepared this list of frequently asked questions pertaining to students with disabilities and academic accommodations at the University of Maine.

What is Student Accessibility Services?

Student Accessibility Services coordinates academic and residential accommodations for students with any type of documented disabilities on campus.

Please click on which subject you would like to learn more about:

Admissions Related Questions
Transitioning from High School to College
Student Accessibility Services
Academic Accomodations
Residence Halls and Accomodations
Academic Resources at UMaine


Should I disclose my disability when applying for admission?

The decision to self-disclose a disability during the admission process is a student’s personal choice. All students admitted to UMaine are considered for acceptance based on criteria of GPA, SAT/ACT scores, ranking in class etc. UMaine does not have a separate admissions process or criteria for students with disabilities. If you have been denied admission and feel that your diagnosed disability could shed light on your academic record then we encourage you to consider self-disclosure. If prior to applying you know that you do not meet the standard admissions criteria, and you feel that your disability documentation provides important academic information, then consider speaking directly with an admissions counselor about your disability. If you send documentation to the Shared Processing Center with your application it will be forwarded to Student Accessibility Services and not Admissions. If you wish to have documentation sent to Admissions you must send it to their office directly. Submitting disability documentation does not in any way guarantee admission or a change in the admissions criteria but may provide a clearer lens through which the admissions counselor can view your materials.

Can we visit Student Accessibility Services while on a campus tour?

If you are planning to visit our campus as part of a tour and would like to meet with SAS please call and schedule and appointment time for before or after the tour.  Our professional staff members have limited walk-in hours available throughout the week so an appointment is the best way to get all of your questions answered.

back to top


Do students in Special Education classes (IDEA) or those who have had a 504 plan in high school automatically receive the same accommodations and services they did in high school?

The laws governing mandated accommodations for students with disabilities are different at the post-secondary level (colleges and universities) than K-12. In some cases the accommodations that students receive in high school may be the same, but some accommodations may not be reasonable and appropriate at the college level. This is why each student’s documentation is reviewed and accommodations are discussed with the SAS Professional.

Does UMaine have a learning center or program like the “resource room” at my high school?

No, SAS provides accommodations and does not provide a resource room or learning center for students. The SAS staff makes arrangements for classroom accommodations such as extended time on tests or alternate format textbooks. The staff also refers students to other programs on campus that offer academic assistance to all students.

Is there someone who will be closely monitoring the student’s progress?

Unlike high school, the university setting requires students to act as independent adults. If a student comes to SAS when things are going poorly, every effort will be made to get that student back on track within the parameters of our services. However, daily monitoring is not available, thus students with a high level of independence and advocacy skills fare better at UMaine.

What role can parents have in requesting accommodations in college? 

A student who is 18 years old or older is legally recognized as an adult. As an adult, the student must self-identify to SAS and request accommodations. Accommodation requests will only be accepted from the student, not from his or her parents. Many times parents ask to be included in the first appointment with SAS. With the student’s approval, this can be very helpful. Students must sign a release of information if they wish to have information shared with parents after the first meeting. The Student Consent to Release Information form can be found at: Student Consent to Release form

Are Personal Care Attendants available?

The University does not recruit or hire personal care attendants for any student. Space will be made available for live-in attendants if necessary, but arrangements for hiring and scheduling PCAs is the student’s responsibility.
back to top


How do I set up accommodations for my classes? 

Students must self-identify to Student Accessibility Services and request accommodations via our online Accommodate platform. The Accommodate platform can be accessed via the MyCampus portal and is located directly on the webpage launch pad. Students will need to log into Accommodate using their Single Sign On (SSO) credentials. Once logged in to the platform, students will need to fill out a Student Accommodation Request form and submit it. They also have the opportunity to upload documentation directly to the form. After the Student Accommodation Request form is submitted, staff in SAS will review the request and notify the student via their UMaine email address to set up an appointment. Requests for appointments are made directly within the Accommodate platform by logging and clicking on the “Appointments” sub tab. During the meeting with staff, the student will discuss their symptoms, requested accommodations, and staff will provide them with next steps. Once accommodations are set up, students will need to log in to Accommodate and request a semester accommodation letter. An accommodation letter is generated in the Accommodate platform and students will need to select which classes and faculty should receive notification of accommodations. Faculty will receive notifications from the Accommodate platform about the student’s accommodations.

If I am receiving accommodations at another college or university will I automatically get the same accommodations at UMaine?

Each university may have different documentation guidelines and rules about what constitutes a reasonable accommodation. Upon transfer to UMaine, information from a previous school is helpful but it is still necessary for SAS Professional to review your documentation and determine what is reasonable at our institution.

Will there be any record on my transcript if I use accommodations through SAS?

No, there are no flags or identifying markers on students’ academic record if they utilize disability accommodation. Further, documentation and disability services records are maintained separately from other academic records.

back to top


What kind of documentation do I need to provide to SAS?

Documentation provided can vary based on the type of disability.  Guidelines can be found on our Documentation Guidelines page. If you have additional questions about providing documentation please contact our office.

When and where do I send my disability documentation?

Please submit your documentation directly to the Accommodate platform. It is extremely helpful if documentation can be sent to SAS prior to your first appointment with a SAS Professional. If students have difficulty uploading documentation to the Accommodate platform, it can be faxed, emailed, or mailed to the office.

back to top


What types of accommodations are generally offered?

SAS provides testing accommodations including extra time, reduced distraction locations, readers and scribes.  Additional accommodations include note taking assistance, alternate format texts, and auxiliary aids.

Will professors and my academic advisor automatically be informed about my disability and accommodation needs? 

Once accommodations have been approved, the Accommodate platform generates an accommodation letter and the student can decide  which classes and professors will receive these letters. A student’s diagnosis will not be automatically shared with professors or staff unless it is on a need to know basis or due to an emergency. SAS encourages each student to share disability information with professors and advisors if they are comfortable.

Are there waivers or course substitutions for required courses?

Some students wish to request a waiver or substitution because they think that their documented disability prevents them from completing a course.  This is most typically the case for a foreign language or math requirement. In order to request a substitution or waiver the student must contact the Associate Dean of the individual’s School or College. In the case of students with learning disabilities, their diagnosis and testing must clearly document the need for substitutions. In some instances, the Director of SAS will write a letter of recommendation supporting the student’s request. Each College makes individual case by case decisions regarding these requests.


back to top


Are single rooms available in the dormitory for students with disabilities?

Any student may request a single room through Housing Services. If a student believes that it is necessary for them to live in a single room due to a documented disability they can request a housing accommodation through the Accommodate platform. The student must submit documentation of disability which clearly reflects the need for a single room. The required forms can be found on the SAS website. Documentation should be directly uploaded to the Accommodate platform. Issues related to distraction free study space for students with learning disabilities and attention deficit disorder are often addressed using other modifications.
back to top


Does UMaine have special tutoring for students with disabilities?

SAS does not provide tutoring as an accommodation. We refer students to UMaine’s Tutor Program. This program provides small group tutoring for 100 and 200 level courses. In tutoring sessions, tutors use the course content to help students develop their critical thinking and problem solving skills. For more information on the Tutor Program and the courses that are currently offered, please visit the Tutor Program website. The office is located in 104 Dunn Hall, 207.581-2351. Students who want one on one tutoring have the option to recruit and hire tutors on their own.

Is special help with writing or math available?

UMaine has both a Math Lab and a Writing Center that are open to all students. They are staffed by upper-class students in math and English. The Math Lab is open on a drop-in basis whereas the Writing Center is available both for drop-ins and by appointment. These services are held in different locations on campus and thus a student with a disability must be highly motivated and independent enough to follow through with using these resources.

back to top