The Office of Student Employment adheres to the Office of Human Resource’s policy on Nepotism at the University of Maine.
- Close relatives may be employed in the same or different departments of the University. For purposes of this policy the term “close relative” shall include significant others in the household.
- The fact that an employee is a close relative of another employee in the same or different department shall not be used as a basis for denying to the employee the rights, privileges or benefits of regular appointment or regular job status. Alternative arrangements for supervisory decisions must be made before employment of a close relative.
- An employee shall not participate in institutional decisions involving a direct benefit to a close relative. Such decisions include, but shall not be limited to, initial appointment, retention, promotion, tenure, salary and leave of absence.
- An employee may not give preferential or favored treatment in the supervision or management of another University employee who is a close relative.
- The University reserves the right to reassign employees or duties when deemed a prudent business or management practice.
- A close family relationship shall not be used as a basis for denying a student the rights, privileges or benefits of access to academic resources.
- An employee shall not participate in institutional academic decisions involving a direct benefit to a close relative. Alternative arrangements for academic decisions must be made for close relatives. (Academic decisions include, but are not limited to, acceptance to an academic program, evaluation of the honors, master or doctoral thesis, and recommendation for awards or employment.)