International Students

The University of Maine has a large population of International Students looking for on-campus employment each year. Departments are absolutely able to hire International Students as student employees; however, it is important to note that there are specific regulations that must be followed.

Q: What paperwork do International Students need to provide?

You will need to complete an I-9 and tax paperwork. The I-9, W-4, and direct deposit forms can all be filled out here in our office, as well as in the Payroll Office in Corbett Hall. Below are the items you will need:

For Noncitizen Nationals of the United States:

  • Employment Authorization Card

For Lawful Permanent Residents:

  • Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)

For Aliens Authorized to Work:

  • A Social Security Card (or receipt of application for a Social Security Card)
  • A Passport (Cannot be expired)
  • A Visa (Still can use, even if expired)
  • An I-20 or DS-2019 sponsored by the University of Maine
  • An I-94 card (Can be obtained by our office, OK if the student does not have printed copy)

Q: How many hours can international students work on campus?

  • During the Academic Year: International students cannot exceed 20 hours of work per week
  • During breaks that are longer than five consecutive days, International students may work up to 40 hours per week.

Q: Can graduate international students have work study?

No, but you may still be eligible for graduate assistantship positions.

Q: Can a graduate international student work an assistantship position and a regular position simultaneously?

Not during the academic year because that would exceed the 20 hour limit.