While none of us wish to encounter problems with employees, there are times when termination is necessary. The Office of Student Employment strongly suggests that employers take necessary steps to help the student understand their area of weakness and assist them in growing and developing in the workplace.
Please review our comprehensive Disciplinary/Termination Information & Procedures handout for more details.
Steps for reviewing disciplinary procedures:
- Meet with the student to review their job description and expectations.
- Acknowledge both the student’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Discuss steps to improve the student’s performance, including an expected time frame for improvement.
- Inform the student that failure to meet these expectations may or will result in dismissal.
- If you must terminate a student, always provide the student with documentation explaining the reason(s) for the termination.
- Submit a Change Form indicating job termination to our office, as well as reason for termination.
Clearly identifying expectations from the start can help avoid disciplinary action in the future.
If you have concerns regarding potential wrongful termination based on disability or discrimination, please contact Student Accessibility Services and/or the Equal Opportunity Office. Any other questions or concerns should be directed to the Human Resources Representative of the department you are working for.
Equal Opportunity Office: (https://umaine.edu/eo/)
Student Accessibility Services: (https://umaine.edu/studentaccessibility/staffcontact/)
Please note that illnesses such as, but not limited to, the flu and mono are not long-term illnesses and do not qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Supervisors are within their rights to terminate employees who are unable to complete specific tasks that they were hired to complete.