Make the Most out of Your Major
- Meet with your advisor regularly to be sure you are making the best choices to maximize your academic experience.
- Join the Sociology Club. This gives you a chance to meet and work with other sociology majors and others interested in sociology. You will create and participate in opportunities to do charitable work and make a difference in your community.
- Take time to participate in events offered by the department. This could be a career panel, a visiting speaker, or a social event. Your experience can be greatly enhanced when you are involved in the program beyond attending classes.
- Use the sociology website: http://umaine.edu/sociology/. We try to keep the site up-to-date with the latest information on career opportunities, events, and faculty publications.
- Spend time in the sociology department. We have the following resources:
- Student Lounge PCs loaded with Microsoft Word, SPSS, Adobe, FirstClass, etc. There is also a printer for you to use free of charge.
- Resources on Careers, Grad schools, sociology in general
- A book case full of free books
- Quiet spaces to study
- A conference room with a Mac Mini with 70″ TV Screen, and a LCD projector, DVD, and VCR (yes, we really have a VCR!) available for you to view a movie from our library, hold a study group, or have a meeting. There is a sign-up sheet outside the door or check with the office administrator about availability.
- A resource room filled with Sociology Journals. We hope you will take advantage of this opportunity to use these journals for your paper or personal interest. See Laurie for access to the room (207 Fernald Hall).
Laurie Cartier, Administrative Specialist
Department of Sociology
201 Fernald Hall