Did you know?
In 1999, men’s ice hockey won the program’s second national title, topping the University of New Hampshire 3–2 in overtime.
In 1992, Scott Pellerin won the Hobey Baker Award, given to the top NCAA men’s ice hockey player.
President John F. Kennedy spoke at convocation Oct. 19, 1963. He was presented with a honorary doctor of laws degree.
The Memorial Union was built in 1952–53 in honor of those who served in World War II.
WGBX, the university’s first broadcasting station, went on air Jan. 24, 1926. Programs, including concerts, lectures and athletic events, were broadcast twice a week from the studio in Wingate Hall.
In 1929, Harry Richardson ’30 and Francis Lindsay ’30 were crowned co-national cross-country champions when they ran across the finish line hand-in-hand at Van Cortlandt Park in New York City.
In February 1865, Maine Gov. Samuel Cony signed a legislative act that created the Maine State College of Agriculture and the Mechanic Arts.
In January 1867, landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted sent his Architect’s Report to the Board of Trustees of the Maine State College of Agriculture. His campus plan included suggestions for a “village-like arrangement” in an open landscape.
When the Memorial Field House-Armory was completed in 1926, it was the largest indoor field house in the nation.
In a 1905 edition of the Maine Campus, the Class of 1907 proclaimed that first-year males must not smoke on campus, carry canes or pipes, wear a derby hat, accompany women or walk on the grass.
In 1923, Caroline Colvin, chair of the history department, was appointed dean of women. She was the first woman in the nation to head a major university department. Colvin Hall is named in her honor.