Working with Student Employees - Disciplinary Procedures
While none of us wish to encounter problems with employees, there are times when there are misunderstandings or a student staff member fails to meet the expectations of the hiring department. The Office of Student Employment strongly suggests that employers take necessary steps to help the student understand their area of weakness and assist them in growing and developing in the workplace.
The goal of the hiring department should be to foster constructive feedback and to identify the specific areas of performances that need improvement. We recommend that the employer document all meetings and provide the student with documentation clearly stating the problem(s), course(s) of action and consequences should the student fail to meet the expectations.
Recommended steps for student staff development:
- Meet with the student to review their job description and expectations.
- Acknowledge both the student’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Discuss steps to improve the student’s performance, including an expected time frame for improvement.
- Inform the student that failure to meet these expectations may or will result in dismissal.
- If you must terminate a student, always provide the student with documentation explaining the reason(s) for the termination.
Clearly identifying expectations from the start can help avoid disciplinary action in the future.
Next to Employer FAQs
Previous to Free Match