Academics - Make the Most out of Your Major
- Meet with your advisor regularly to be sure you are making the best choices to maximize your academic experience.
- Join the Sociology Club. This gives you a chance to meet and work with other sociology majors and others interested in sociology. You will create and participate in opportunities to do charitable work and make a difference in your community.
- Take time to participate in events offered by the department. This could be a career panel, a visiting speaker, or a social event. Your experience can be greatly enhanced when you are involved in the program beyond attending classes.
- Use the sociology website: http://umaine.edu/sociology/. We try to keep the site up-to-date with the latest information on career opportunities, events, and faculty publications.
- Spend time in the sociology department. We have the following resources:
- Student Lounge with 2 PCs and an older Mac for your use. The PCs are loaded with Microsoft Word, SPSS, Adobe, FirstClass, etc. There is also a printer for you to use free of charge.
- Resources on Careers, Grad schools, sociology in general
- A book case full of free books
- Quiet spaces to study
- A conference room with LCD projector, DVD, and VCR available for you to view a movie from our library, hold a study group, or have a meeting. There is a sign-up sheet outside the door or check with the office administrator about availability.
- NEW: A resource room filled with Sociology Journals. You can access the journals through the Fogler Library’s RefWorks site and using the ID: SociologyDept and PW: soc1ology. We hope you will take advantage of this opportunity to use these journals for your paper or personal interest. See Laurie for access to the room (207 Fernald Hall).
- While you are on the Fogler website, check out this link too: http://library.umaine.edu/subjectPortal/index.aspx?subject=Sociology
Laurie Cartier, Administrative Specialist
Department of Sociology
201 Fernald Hall
Back to Academics