Minors in Philosophy and Ethics
The Department of Philosophy offers minors in Philosophy and in Ethics. The minors are open to all undergraduate, degree-seeking University of Maine students and require the completion of 18 credits in Philosophy courses.
Requirements for the Minor in Philosophy are:
- At least two of the following: PHI 210 History of Ancient Philosophy; PHI 312 History of Modern Philosophy; PHI 200 Problems in Recent Philosophy.
- Plus an additional 12 credits of PHI courses, at least 6 credits of which shall be courses above the 100 level.
- At least 9 credits must be taken at the University of Maine.
- Minimum course grade of C- in PHI courses.
A Typical Four-Your Program for a Minor in Philosophy
- First Year
One or two 100-level philosophy courses
- Second Year
PHI 200 Problems in Recent Philosophy or
PHI 210 History of Ancient Philosophy or PHI 312 History of Modern Philosophy
- Junior Year
One upper-level philosophy course
- Senior Year
One or two upper-level philosophy courses
Requirements for the Minor in Ethics and Social and Political Philosophy are:
A minor in Ethics, and Social and Political Philosophy shall consist of at least 18 credits with a minimum course grade of C-. At least 9 credits must be taken at the University of Maine. Students enrolled in this minor must satisfy the following requirements:
- A. Core Requirements (6 credits): PHI 230: Ethics (3), PHI 240: Social and Political Philosophy (3)
- B. At least one course from the following list (3 credits):
PHI 100: Contemporary Moral Problems (3), PHI 231: Topics in Applied Ethics (3), PHI 232: Environmental Ethics (3), PHI 233: Business Ethics (3), PHI 235: Biomedical Ethics (3), PHI 244: Philosophy of Law (3), PHI 432: Environmental Philosophy and Policy (3)
- C. At least two courses from the following list (6 credits):
PHI 210: History of Ancient Philosophy (3), PHI 312: History of Modern Philosophy (3), PHI 236: Feminist Ethical, Social and Political Theory (3), PHI 335: Contemporary Ethics (3), PHI 342: Marxist Philosophy I: Philosophy of Karl Marx (3), PHI 343: Marxist Philosophy II: 20th Century Marxism (3), PHI 344: Theories of Justice (3)
- D. At least 3 additional credits in Philosophy