Visual and Performing Arts Scholarships
The Visual and Performing Arts Scholarships for Fall 2022 are now open.
These $3,000 annual scholarships are offered by the University of Maine to new students with demonstrated talent in music, theatre and dance. They are renewable for up to a total of 8 semesters for new first-year students and for up a total of 4 semesters for transfer students, provided the student meets the renewal criteria specified for each award. In order to be eligible to receive these scholarships students must submit a complete application for admission by December 1st, 2021. Apply at go.umaine.edu/apply/.
- Students must verify that they are interested in the VAPA Music Performance scholarship with the Music Division (call 207.581.4703 or email email@example.com) so they can be added to the VAPA database.
- Students may be nominated for this scholarship to the Music Department by a music teacher or music director or be observed in performance by a Music Department faculty member
- Scholarship students must participate each semester in an ensemble that is approved by the Chair of the Division of Music.
- Student must be registered for at least one music ensemble (MUS) for at least zero or more credits each semester.
- Please note: auditions, while not required for the Music Performance Scholarship, are required for students wishing to enroll in music major.
- If you wish to complete your admission as a music major (Music, Music Education, Music Performance), auditions are arranged through the Music Division, to schedule a music audition, please contact the School of Performing Arts at firstname.lastname@example.org or 207.581.4703.
- Students wishing to be considered for the scholarship should email UMtheatrescholarship@maine.edu to identify their interest in the VAPA Theatre Arts scholarship.
- Students must be nominated to the Theatre department by a drama instructor or audition in person or via digital recording contact the School of Performing Arts at 207.581.4703.
- Scholarship students must enroll as a theatre major as their major or one of their double majors.
- Scholarship performers must audition for all theater productions produced by the department.
- Scholarship technicians must take on one tech role in a production each academic year.
- Students wishing to be considered for the scholarship should email the to identify their interest in the VAPA Dance Performance Scholarship.
- Students must audition in person or via digital recording for a Dance Performance Scholarship. Contact the School of Performing Arts at 207.581.4703
- Scholarship recipients must be a Dance Minor.
- Scholarship students must participate in at least one main stage dance concert each year.
- Scholarship students must participate in at least one dance ensemble.
University of Maine Music Major Scholarship
This scholarship opportunity is available to both current and incoming students majoring in music at the University of Maine. The deadline for submission is February 12, 2022. In addition to the application form, students must also submit a recording of their playing and a letter of recommendation. To submit your materials, or for more information, contact Kerry Davis, email@example.com.
If you wish to complete your admission as a music major (Music, Music Education or Music Performance), auditions are arranged through the Music Division. To schedule a music audition, please contact Kerry Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 207.581.4703.
Richard and William Newdick Theatre Scholarship
The Chair of the School of Performing Arts’ Division of Theatre, in consultation with the Office of Student Financial Aid, selects a number of theatre students to receive a financial award each semester. The award is for returning students only and is based on student participation within the Division of Theatre and overall academic achievement.
Other scholarships and awards given to Theatre students include:
- H. Bricker Achievement Award
- Theatre Rookie Award
- Stage Manager Award
- Techie Award
- Outstanding Undergrad Award
- Dance Award
- Meritorious Contribution Award
- Props Award