Transfer Student Information

Congratulations on your transfer acceptance to the University of Maine! We hope you will consider campus living. Living on campus maximizes opportunities for social, cultural and extracurricular involvement and is positively linked to students’ persistence toward attaining a degree, and can help transfer students become acclimated to the area much more quickly. The University does not require transfer students to live on campus.

Housing Fast Facts

  • Apply for housing as soon as possible
  • You may apply for housing even if you have not confirmed admission to UMaine
    • If you will be requesting Honors College housing, please apply and confirm admission early—Honors housing is limited and fills quickly
    • Make sure you accept the invitation from the Honors College before applying for housing
  • Select a meal plan
  • Select Continuous Housing only if you will require housing during Winter Break (Friday, December 18, 2020–Sunday, January 17, 2021 and for Spring Break (Friday, March 12, 2021– Sunday, March 21, 2021. Most residence halls close for the Winter Break and Spring Break. Continuous housing halls do not.
  • Housing assignments are made based on availability and the application date once admission is confirmed

Hall Preferences

Choosing your residence hall is subject to space availability. This privilege is available only to upperclass students. If you wish to request a specific hall, please contact us. The Transfer Living Community in York Hall is available to incoming upperclass transfer students. First-year transfer students may be assigned to first-year housing.

Roommate RequestsHousing residence life students in Knox Hall 2019

Specifid roommate requests can be guaranteed if the following conditions are met by May 1:

  • Both students have housing applications on file requesting each other
  • Both students have confirmed admission
    • After May 1 we will accommodate roommate requests whenever we can, based upon space availability at the time of assignment.
  • Requests for Living Learning Communities and Themed Housing will be considered based upon space availability.

Fall Check-in

Check-in for transfer and first-year students is Friday, August 28, 2020.

Property Insurance

Students are strongly encouraged to have property insurance for their personal belongings. Comprehensive, affordable property insurance is available through CSI College Student Insurance.

For more information, check out our list of what to bring to campus.
Questions? Go to our FAQ page, Residence Life, or contact Housing Services.