Maine Food Atlas
Check out this is amazing educational tool for helping communities envision and understand the diverse components of the our local and regional food system!
- Maine Hunger Dialogue works to inspire Maine’s college students to learn and work together to fight hunger across the state.
- Good Shepherd Food Bank is affiliated with Feeding America and works in all 16 counties of Maine. Through close connection to the food industry they are able to collect and distribute food to local food pantries and meal sites.
- Sharing Tables encourages the consumption of nutritious foods while minimizing waste.
- Nutrient Loss Study by Johns Hopkins Researchers
Reducing Food Waste
- Companies Save Money by Reducing Food Loss and Waste
- Addressing the Challenges of Quantifying Food Loss and Waste
- Can We Really Cut Food Waste in Half?
- 10 Ways to Cut Global Food Loss and Waste
- Further With Food Website
- Whole Crops is working to connect farm surplus with folks who can use it
- Check out the Spoiler Alert app! This company is looking into whether or not it is worthwhile to expand heavily into Maine. Let’s show them it is!!!
Gleaning is the act of collecting leftover crops from farmers’ fields after they have been commercially harvested or on fields where it is not economically profitable to harvest.
- The Maine Chapter of the Food Recovery Network
- The University of Maine Cooperative Extension in Cumberland County, What is Gleaning?
- Healthy Acadia
- Maine Federation of Farmers Markets
- Farm to Institution New England
- Natural Resource Council of Maine, Food Waste
- Vermont Gleaning Collective
- Hancock County Gleaning Program Article
- Central Maine Gleaners Group
- Reducing Wasted Food and Increasing Access to Fresh, Local Foods in Southern Kennebec County