The MaineMBA prepares leaders to move through the volatile and rapidly changing markets with innovation and agility. We educate MBA candidates to be creative and strategic thinkers, to solve complex problems, and to lead, manage, and communicate with the business environment.
Complete Eight (8) Core Courses
- Statistical Analysis and Modeling for Organizational Operations (BUA 601)
- Creating & Capturing Value in the Digital Economy (BUA 605)
- Financial Statement Analysis (BUA 609)
- Law, Business and Society (BUA 620)
- Management of Contemporary Organizations (BUA 626)
- Managerial Marketing (BUA 645)
- Management Policy (BUA 649)
- Financial Management (BUA 651)
Choose Two (2) Electives
- Knowledge Management & Decision Support Systems
- International Field Study
- MBA Internship
- Independent Study
- Services Management
- Analytics for Managers
- Information Visualization
- Investment Management
- Socially Responsible Investing
- Idea Generation and New Product Development
All applicants should submit:
- Completed online application
- Contact information for three professional recommendations
- Transcripts of all previous college or university work
- Your current resume
- A brief essay (prompt below)
- GMAT scores
- $65 application fee
International students will also submit:
- TOEFL or IELTS scores. Waived for native English speakers and students graduating from an English-speaking or ESL programs.
- WES or ECE certified transcript translation.
- Certificate of Finances
- Copy of passport or visa
International applicants should also review the Office of International Programs page for more information on Visas, financial statements, and other requirements, or to contact an international student advisor. International three-year degree holders are considered for admission to the Graduate School of Business. All applicants are considered on a case-by-case basis. Three-year degree holders are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Admission Criteria
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a 3.0 cumulative GPA; 3.5 preferred.
- All prerequisites for the MBA with a grade of B- or better.
- GMAT score minimum of 500; 550 is preferred.
- For International applicants, a TOEFL minimum of 80 or 6.5 IELTS.
All applications are reviewed holistically – exceptional career or leadership experience may offset weak scores in some applicants. Conditional or provisional admission is available.
Additional Application Information
To ensure that all MaineMBA students have a foundation of business core concepts, prior coursework in the following areas is required:
- accounting (financial and managerial)
- economics (macro and micro)
However, prospective students are encouraged to apply for the MaineMBA prior to completing prerequisites. Non-business undergraduates can complete online prerequisites concurrently with their MBA courses:
- Intro to Managerial and Financial Accounting (BUA 400)
- Micro and Macroeconomics (ECO 410)
- Finance Tutorial (not for credit)
- Management Tutorial (not for credit)
- Marketing Tutorial (not for credit)
Recommenders should be able to comment on your academic strengths, work ethic, responsibilities, accomplishments, career advancement, managerial experience, or ability to be successful in the MaineMBA.
Application Essay Prompt
Submit an essay describing your motivation for pursuing the MaineMBA. The essay is evaluated not only for content, but also for intrinsic writing quality and strengths. Your essay should be no more than two pages, double spaced, 12 pt Times New Roman font, 1″ margins.
Applicants must submit GMAT scores taken within the last five years.
- Other standardized tests (e.g., GRE, LSAT, MAT) may be substituted if taken within five years.
- The GMAT is waived for applicants with a PhD, JD, MD, CPA, CFP, or graduate degree.
- The GMAT may be waived for strong candidates with five or more years of post-graduate professional or military experience, including:
- Management of staff in a direct working relationship
- Leadership of work teams
- Financial or budgetary responsibility
- Job responsibilities that specifically demonstrate applied quantitative and analytical skills
To apply for a GMAT waiver, submit the GMAT Waiver Form. GMAT waivers are not available for international applicants.
Application fees are waived for:
- Graduates of University of Maine System Schools
- Veterans of the US Armed Forces
- Fulbright Scholars
- Participants in select programs (eg. IRT/McNair)