The MaineMBA in Healthcare Systems
The MaineMBA in Healthcare Systems prepares leaders to apply advanced business concepts to make informed decisions in healthcare and related industries. Students in this concentration prepare for careers in hospital and medical system leadership roles, pharmaceutical sales, and the development or management of emerging technologies in the medical sector.
MaineMBA in Healthcare Systems
Eight (8) MaineMBA Core Courses
- Strategic Data Analysis (BUA 601)
- Global Supply Chain Networks (MBA 637)
- Financial Statement Analysis (MBA 609)
- Foundations of Business Intelligence (BUA 680)
- Management of Contemporary Organizations (MBA 626)
- Managerial Marketing (MBA 670)
- Strategic Decision Making (MBA 649)
- Financial Management (MBA 651)
Three (3) Healthcare Systems Courses offered in conjunction with the Muskie School of Public Policy at the University of Southern Maine
- American Healthcare Systems
Chose two additional courses from electives such as:
- Social and Behavioral Foundations
- Health Literacy
- Health Law and Ethics
- Health Policy
- Health Economics
- Quality Improvement
- Patient Safety
All applicants should submit:
- Completed online application
- Contact information for three professional recommendations
- Transcripts of all previous college or university work
- Your current resume
- A brief essay (prompt below)
- GMAT scores or Approved GMAT Waiver (see below)
- $65 application fee
International students will also submit:
- TOEFL or IELTS scores. Waived for native English speakers and students graduating from an English-speaking or ESL programs.
- WES or ECE certified transcript translation.
- Certificate of Finances
- Copy of passport or visa
International applicants should also review the Office of International Programs page for more information on Visas, financial statements, and other requirements, or to contact an international student advisor. International three-year degree holders are considered for admission to the Graduate School of Business. All applicants are considered on a case-by-case basis. Three-year degree holders are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Admission Criteria
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a 3.0 cumulative GPA; 3.5 preferred.
- GMAT score minimum of 500; 550 is preferred. GMAT waivers are available for qualified students (see below)
- For International applicants, a TOEFL minimum of 80 or IELTS minimum of 6.5.
All applications are reviewed holistically – exceptional career or leadership experience may offset weak scores in some applicants. Conditional or provisional admission is available.
Additional Application Information
To ensure that all MaineMBA students have a foundation of business core concepts, prior coursework or tutorials in the following areas is required:
- accounting (financial and managerial)
- economics (macro and micro)
Non-business undergraduates can complete foundational skills via self-paced tutorials prior to starting MBA courses.
Application Essay Prompt
Submit an essay describing your motivation for pursuing the MaineMBA. The essay is evaluated not only for content but also for intrinsic writing quality and strengths. Your essay should be a minimum of one but no more than two pages, double spaced, 12 pt Times New Roman font, 1″ margins.
Applicants must submit GMAT scores taken within the last five years.
- Other standardized tests (e.g., GRE, LSAT, MAT) may be substituted if taken within five years.
- The GMAT is waived for applicants with a PhD, JD, MD, CPA, CFP, or graduate degree.
- The GMAT may be waived for strong candidates with five or more years of post-graduate professional or military experience, including:
- Management of staff in a direct working relationship
- Leadership of work teams
- Financial or budgetary responsibility
- Job responsibilities that specifically demonstrate applied quantitative and analytical skills
To apply for a GMAT waiver, submit the GMAT Waiver Form. GMAT waivers are not available for international applicants or applicants requesting a graduate assistantship.
Application fees are waived for:
- Graduates of University of Maine System Schools
- Members of any State of Maine Chamber of Commerce
- MaineMBA Preferred Partners employees
- Veterans of the US Armed Forces
- Fulbright Scholars
- Participants in select programs (eg. IRT/McNair)