The MaineMBA in Accounting
Accounting is the language of business. Professional accountants are relied upon for their expertise throughout the world. The MaineMBA in Accounting, which serves as a pathway to the CPA designation for many students, can help advance your career and earning potential. Our program is designed to equip graduates with a mastery of business principles and advanced accounting knowledge needed for a changing global landscape.
MaineMBA in Accounting Curriculum
Complete Eight (8) Core Courses
- Strategic Data Analysis (BUA 601)
- Global Supply Chain Networks (MBA 637)
- Financial Statement Analysis (MBA 609)
- Foundations of Business Intelligence (BUA 680)
- Management of Contemporary Organizations (MBA 626)
- Managerial Marketing (MBA 670)
- Strategic Decision Making (MBA 649)
- Financial Management (MBA 651)
Choose Three (3) Electives
- Advanced Managerial Accounting (ACC 406)
- Accounting for Government and Nonprofits (ACC 409)
- Advanced Accounting (ACC 507)
- Topics in Accounting (ACC 608)
- Field Experience in Accounting (ACC 697)
Accounting Foundation Courses
In order to meet qualifications to sit for the Maine CPA Exam, students in the MaineMBA-Accounting concentration need additional accounting courses which can be completed on the undergraduate or graduate level, prior to entering the MaineMBA or in addition to the MaineMBA curriculum. Applicants without these courses may be required to take them in addition to the MaineMBA curriculum. These courses include:
- Financial Accounting
- Managerial or Cost Accounting
- Intermediate Accounting I
- Intermediate Accounting II
- Federal/Individual Tax
All applicants should submit:
- Completed online application
- Contact information for three professional recommendations
- Transcripts of all previous college or university work
- Your current resume or CV
- Writing Submission (see “Application Writing Submission” below)
- GMAT scores or Approved GMAT Waiver (see below)
- $65 application fee
International students will also submit:
- English Language Proficiency Test Scores such as TOEFL or IELTS scores. Test requirements are waived for native English speakers and students graduating from an English-speaking or ESL program. Read more about the test requirements here.
- WES or ECE certified transcript translation
- Certificate of Finances
- Copy of Passport or Visa
International applicants should also review the Office of International Programs page for more information on Visas, financial statements, and other requirements, or to contact an international student advisor. International three-year degree holders are considered for admission to the Graduate School of Business. All applicants are considered on a case-by-case basis. Three-year degree holders are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Admission Criteria
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a 3.0 cumulative GPA; 3.5 preferred.
- All prerequisites for the MBA with a grade of B- or better.
- GMAT score minimum of 500; 550 is preferred. GMAT waivers are available for qualified students (see below)
- For International applicants, a TOEFL minimum of 80 or IELTS minimum of 6.5.
All applications are reviewed holistically – exceptional career or leadership experience may offset weak scores in some applicants. Conditional or provisional admission is available.
Applicants must submit GMAT scores taken within the last five years. To apply for a GMAT waiver, submit the GMAT Waiver Form.
The GMAT waiver is available for those who meet the following criteria:
- Possession of an Advanced Degree
- PhD, JD, MD, CPA, CFP, or graduate degree from an approved accredited institution.
- Five or more years of post-graduate professional or military work experience:
- Management of staff in a direct working relationship
- Financial or budgetary responsibility
- Leadership of work (i.e. platoon leader, platoon commander, team leader, company commander, or similar military position).
- Job responsibilities that specifically demonstrate applied quantitative and analytical skills.
- A minimum of 3 years of industry experience in a highly STEM, quantitative, or analytical-based field.
- A minimum of 3 years of advanced military operations experience.
- An undergraduate degree with a GPA of 3.0 in a STEM or applied quantitative field from an approved accredited program.
- Students participating in the Accelerated Pathway program.
Other standardized tests (e.g., GRE, LSAT, MCAT, or PCAT ) may be substituted if taken within five years.
Additional Application Information
To ensure that all MaineMBA students have a foundation of business core concepts, prior coursework in the following areas is required:
• Accounting (financial and managerial)
• Economics (macro and micro)
Students can complete foundational skills via online foundation courses prior to starting MBA courses. All students are welcome to take foundation courses to help solidify their skills and prepare them for success.
Application Writing Submission
A writing submission describing your career goals and aspirations to earn your MaineMBA is required. The submission is evaluated not only for content but also for intrinsic writing quality and strengths. The piece is no longer than 500 words total.
Application fees are waived for:
- Graduates of University of Maine System Schools
- Members of any State of Maine Chamber of Commerce
- MaineMBA Preferred Partners employees
- Veterans of the US Armed Forces
- Fulbright Scholars
- Participants in select programs (eg. IRT/McNair)