The MaineMBA in Accounting
Accounting is the language of business. Professional accountants are relied upon for their expertise throughout the world. The MaineMBA in Accounting leading to the CPA designation can help advance your career and earning potential. Our program is designed to equip graduates with a mastery of accounting principles and analytic agility needed for a changing global landscape.
MaineMBA in Accounting Curriculum
Complete Eight (8) Core Courses
- Strategic Data Analysis (BUA 601)
- Global Supply Chain Networks (MBA 637)
- Financial Statement Analysis (MBA 609)
- Foundations of Business Intelligence (BUA 680)
- Management of Contemporary Organizations (MBA 626)
- Managerial Marketing (MBA 670)
- Strategic Decision Making (MBA 649)
- Financial Management (MBA 651)
Choose Three (3) Electives
- Advanced Managerial Accounting
- Accounting for Government and Non-Profits
- Advanced Accounting
- Tax Planning for Small Businesses
- Field Experience in Accounting
Accounting Foundation Courses
In order to meet qualifications to sit for the Maine CPA Exam, students in the MaineMBA-Accounting concentration need additional accounting courses which can be completed on the undergraduate or graduate level, prior to entering the MaineMBA or in addition to the MaineMBA curriculum. Applicants without these courses may be required to take them in addition to the MaineMBA curriculum. These courses include:
- Financial Accounting
- Managerial or Cost Accounting
- Intermediate Accounting I
- Intermediate Accounting II
- Federal/Individual Tax
All applicants should submit:
- Completed online application
- Contact information for three professional recommendations
- Transcripts of all previous college or university work
- Your current resume
- A brief essay (prompt below)
- GMAT scores or Approved GMAT Waiver (see below)
- $65 application fee
International students will also submit:
- TOEFL or IELTS scores. Waived for native English speakers and students graduating from an English-speaking or ESL programs.
- WES or ECE certified transcript translation.
- Certificate of Finances
- Copy of passport or visa
International applicants should also review the Office of International Programs page for more information on Visas, financial statements, and other requirements, or to contact an international student advisor. International three-year degree holders are considered for admission to the Graduate School of Business. All applicants are considered on a case-by-case basis. Three-year degree holders are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Admission Criteria
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a 3.0 cumulative GPA; 3.5 preferred.
- All prerequisites for the MBA with a grade of B- or better.
- GMAT score minimum of 500; 550 is preferred. GMAT waivers are available for qualified students (see below)
- For International applicants, a TOEFL minimum of 80 or IELTS minimum of 6.5.
All applications are reviewed holistically – exceptional career or leadership experience may offset weak scores in some applicants. Conditional or provisional admission is available.
Applicants must submit GMAT scores taken within the last five years.
- Other standardized tests (e.g., GRE, LSAT, MAT) may be substituted if taken within five years.
- The GMAT is waived for domestic (U.S.) applicants with a PhD, JD, MD, CPA, CFP, or graduate degree.
- The GMAT may be waived for strong domestic (U.S.) candidates with five or more years of post-graduate professional or military experience, including:
- Management of staff in a direct working relationship
- Leadership of work teams
- Financial or budgetary responsibility
- Job responsibilities that specifically demonstrate applied quantitative and analytical skills
To apply for a GMAT waiver, submit the GMAT Waiver Form. GMAT waivers are not available for international applicants or applicants requesting a graduate assistantship.
Application fees are waived for:
- Graduates of University of Maine System Schools
- Members of any State of Maine Chamber of Commerce
- MaineMBA Preferred Partners employees
- Veterans of the US Armed Forces
- Fulbright Scholars
- Participants in select programs (eg. IRT/McNair)
Additional Application Information
In addition to the accounting foundations, to ensure that all MaineMBA students have a foundation of business core concepts, prior coursework or tutorials in the following areas are required:
- economics (macro and micro)
Non-business undergraduates can complete foundational skills via self-paced tutorials prior to starting MBA courses.
Application Essay Prompt
Submit an essay describing your motivation for pursuing the MaineMBA. The essay is evaluated not only for content but also for intrinsic writing quality and strengths. Your essay should be a minimum of one but no more than two pages, double spaced, 12 pt Times New Roman font, 1″ margins.