Christine Hale: Seminar Series IPad raffle winner

Christine Hale was the winner of the fall seminar raffle. Graduate students who attended the most seminars in the fall had a chance to enter a drawing to win an iPad.  A new raffle is planned for the Spring seminar series.

Christine is a University of Maine GSBSE Ph.D. Student in Biomedical Science.  She is currently in her Ph.D. candidacy and carrying out her thesis research on “nociceptor sensitization” in the lab of Dr. Geoffrey Ganter at the University of New England in Biddeford, ME (a GSBSE affiliated institution)

She feels that, “as a fourth year UMaine GSBSE Ph.D. student in Biomedical Science, I know how easy it is to become focused on your own specific area of study when carrying out your graduate studies and thesis research. Attending the UMaine Medicine virtual seminars helped me to broaden my knowledge to see how different areas of research can be connected.  By attending these seminars, I could contemplate new and different techniques, methods of analysis, and ideas presented by the speakers and think about how these concepts could possibly be applied or affect my own areas of investigation. These seminars are an excellent way to learn about new and innovative methods others are using to tackle complex biological questions and to be reminded of how interconnected your studies may be to other areas of investigation.

I am excited and thankful to have won this new iPad and have already found ways to use it with my research! Pictured with my new iPad and an image of a Drosophila larval nociceptor (a type of sensory neuron).”