- Fall semester/Academic year exchanges: April 1
- Spring Semester Exchanges: November 1
- Late applications may be considered on a space-available basis.
Instructions: You must complete the application from beginning to end. You cannot save, exit and return to complete the remaining portion later. Prepare the following supporting documents in PDF format BEFORE you start the application:
- Home Institution Exchange Coordinator Approval Form (PDF) – signed and dated by home university adviser
- Academic Transcript (in English)
- English language test score (TOEFL or IELTS). Waived for students who are native speakers.
- Certificate of Finances Form (PDF) – UMaine will use 2020-2021 costs until July 1, 2021 when we will update this form. Please refer to the Budget page for a detailed list of estimated costs.
- Passport Page
- Statement of Purpose (Essay)
- Faculty Letter of recommendation (optional)
- Visiting Graduate Exchange Student form (PDF) – for graduate applicants only (the fee is waived for graduate exchange students)
Online Application: UMaine Exchange Online Application
English Language Proficiency
All non-native English speakers must have sufficient English language proficiency for successfully completing academic work at UMaine. English language proficiency is considered sufficient at a minimum Test of English as a Second Language (TOEFL) score of 550 iTP (paper) or 79 iBT (internet) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6.5 composite score.
Students who fall below these levels will be enrolled at the UMaine Intensive English Institute for ESL courses or a combination of ESL and academic courses based on the student’s proficiency level.
Students who do not submit an exam score at the time of application will be required to take an English language placement test upon arrival at UMaine.
If you are accepted as an exchange student, the University of Maine will issue Form DS-2019, a Certificate of Eligibility for the Exchange Visitor Visa (J-1). As a J-1 visa holder, you are obligated to pursue a full-time academic program while at UMaine.