A History of Stodder Hall

Located in the southeast section of the University of Maine Orono campus, Stodder Hall, named after Mrs. Anna E. Stodder of Bangor, Maine was originally designed by Alonzo J. Harriman, Inc. Architects of Auburn in 1955. Its original purpose was to serve as a residence for 170 women and included a kitchen and cafeteria capable of serving 600 people.

Construction image of Stodder Hall

By the late 1970’s, the hall transitioned to a co-ed dormitory and in 2008 construction began to renovate Stodder into a fully graduate student-centered space, with office space for the Graduate School, Graduate Student Government, and a dedicated study area in the ground level and the residence hall housing graduate students.

Exterior image of Stodder Hall

In March 2009, the Graduate School staff moved from Winslow and Alumni Hall into the current space.