Associate Professor of Human Development & Family Studies
330A Merrill Hall
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5749
Bio: A research psychologist by training, Renate Klein focuses on gender and violence with a variety of courses as well as research and scholarship. She has long-standing international research collaborations and is a recipient of major grants from large national institutions including the German Research Foundation, the UK National Lottery, and the U.S. Department of Justice. Her framework is international, interdisciplinary and practice-oriented. She has conducted research for local community organizations such as the Penquis Law Project and the Maine Coalition to End Domestic Violence, and is the recipient of a Teal Award from Rape Response Services for outstanding community partner. She is the founder and long-time coordinator of the European Network on Gender and Violence, and a founding member of the UK-based network Universities against Gender-based Violence.
B.S., 1981, University of Marburg, Germany
M.S., 1984, University of Marburg, Germany
Ph.D., 1989, University of Marburg, Germany (Summa cum laude)
Courses taught at UMaine
- CHF 404-9990: Conflict and violence in intimate relationships (online)
- CHF 404-9992: International perspectives on gender and violence (online)
- WGS 340: Transnational feminisms
- WGS 520: Research methodologies in women’s, gender & sexuality studies
- CHF 404: Women in Europe (Travel study)
- CHF 452: Violence in the family
- CHF 451: Family relationships
- HUD 555: Grant writing
- WST 101: Introduction to women’s studies
Klein, R. (2018). Sexual violence on US college campuses: History and challenges. In S. Anitha & R. Lewis (Eds.), Gender based violence in university communities: Policy, prevention and educational interventions. Bristol, UK: Policy Press.
Sharp-Jeffs, N., Kelly, L., & Klein, R. (2018). Long journeys toward freedom: The relationship between coercive control and space for action—Measurement and emerging evidence. Violence against Women, 24(2), 163-185.
Klein, R. (2017). Gender-based abuse through the prism of higher education institutions. In Men and Women – Differences and Similarities (pp. 26-36). Wydawnictwo Universytetu Rzeszowskiego, Poland.
Klein, R. (2016). Sexuelle Gewalt gegen Studentinnen [Sexual violence against female university students]. In B. Bojack & T. Heitmeier (Eds.), Sexuelle Gewalt: Internationale Studien, Folgen & Versorgung, Erfahrungsberichte [Sexual violence: International studies, consequences & services, praxis reports] . Coburg: ZKS-Verlag.
- Kelly, L., Sharp, N. & Klein, R. (2014). Finding the costs of freedom: How women and children rebuild their lives after domestic violence. Solace Women’s Aid, CWASU, Big Lottery Fund, UK.
- Klein, R. (2013) (Ed.) Framing sexual and domestic violence through language. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Klein, R. (2013). Post-secondary education responses to forced marriage and gendered abuse against students. Children Australia, 38(4), 1-9.
- Klein, R. (2012). Responding to intimate violence against women: The role of informal networks. New York/Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press.
- Freeman, M. & Klein, R.C.A. (2012). University responses to forced marriage and violence against women in the UK: Report on a pilot study. International Family Law, September 2012, 285-299.
- Klein, R.C.A. (2004). Sickening relationships: Gender-based violence, women’s health, and the role of informal third parties. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 21, 155-171.
- Klein, R.C.A. (1998) (Ed.) Multidisciplinary perspectives on family violence. London: Routledge.
Universities against Gender-based Violence
European Network on Gender and Violence