Associate Professor of Human Development and Family Studies
330A Merrill Hall
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5749
Bio: A research psychologist by training, Renate Klein focuses on gender and violence with a variety of courses as well as research and scholarship. She has long-standing international research collaborations and is a recipient of major grants from large national institutions including the German Research Foundation, the UK National Lottery, and the U.S. Department of Justice. Her framework is international, interdisciplinary and practice-oriented. She has conducted research for local community organizations such as the Penquis Law Project and the Maine Coalition to End Domestic Violence, and is the recipient of a Teal Award from Rape Response Services for outstanding community partner. She is the founder and long-time coordinator of the European Network on Gender and Violence, and a founding member of the UK-based network Universities against Gender-based Violence.
B.S., 1981, University of Marburg, Germany
M.S., 1984, University of Marburg, Germany
Ph.D., 1989, University of Marburg, Germany (Summa cum laude)
Courses taught at UMaine
- CHF 404-9990: Conflict and violence in intimate relationships (online)
- CHF 404-9992: International perspectives on gender and violence (online)
- CHF 404: Conflict and Violence in Intimate Relationships
- CHF 404: International Perspectives on Gender and Violence
- HUD 551: Fundamentals of Human Development
- HUD 554: Legislation and Policy in Human Development
- HUD 555: Grant Development in Human Development
- WGS 340: Transnational feminisms
- WGS 520: Research methodologies in women’s, gender & sexuality studies
- Klein, R. (2021). Gewalterfahrungen im Lebenslauf [Experiences of violence throughout the lifespan]. In Gewaltfreie Arbeit-Arbeit der Zukunft [Work without violence—Workplace of the future], pp 21-33. Loccumer Protokolle 72/2021. Evangelische Akademie Loccum.
- Klein, R. (2021). Praktische Gewaltprävention an einer Hochschule in den USA [Reflections on violence prevention work at a U.S. university]. In Gewaltfreie Arbeit-Arbeit der Zukunft [Work without violence—Workplace of the future], pp. 243-249. Loccumer Protokolle 72/2021. Evangelische Akademie Loccum.
- Klein, R. (2020). Addressing violence against women in a diverse world: Four perspectives on culture. In Marchi, L. (ed.), U.N.I.RE.: Gender Violence is Also a Cultural Issue! Proceedings from the International Graduate Conference “Cultural Actions and Practices that Honor the Implementation of The Council of Europe-Istanbul Convention.” University of Trento, Italy.
- Klein, R., Buzzell, S.E. & van Schaik, P. (2019). Internetvermittelte Informationssuche zur Unterstützung von Vergewaltigungsopfern [Internet-mediated information searches to support rape victims]. In B.Bojack (ed.). Gewalt in der Tabuzone [Violence as taboo]. Goßmannsdorf, Germany: ZKS-Verlag.
Klein, R. (2018). Sexual violence on US college campuses: History and challenges. In S. Anitha & R. Lewis (Eds.), Gender based violence in university communities: Policy, prevention and educational interventions. Bristol, UK: Policy Press.
Sharp-Jeffs, N., Kelly, L., & Klein, R. (2018). Long journeys toward freedom: The relationship between coercive control and space for action—Measurement and emerging evidence. Violence against Women, 24(2), 163-185.
Klein, R. (2017). Gender-based abuse through the prism of higher education institutions. In Men and Women – Differences and Similarities (pp. 26-36). Wydawnictwo Universytetu Rzeszowskiego, Poland.
Klein, R. (2016). Sexuelle Gewalt gegen Studentinnen [Sexual violence against female university students]. In B. Bojack & T. Heitmeier (Eds.), Sexuelle Gewalt: Internationale Studien, Folgen & Versorgung, Erfahrungsberichte [Sexual violence: International studies, consequences & services, praxis reports] . Coburg: ZKS-Verlag.
- Kelly, L., Sharp, N. & Klein, R. (2014). Finding the costs of freedom: How women and children rebuild their lives after domestic violence. Solace Women’s Aid, CWASU, Big Lottery Fund, UK.
- Klein, R. (2013) (Ed.) Framing sexual and domestic violence through language. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Klein, R. (2013). Post-secondary education responses to forced marriage and gendered abuse against students. Children Australia, 38(4), 1-9.
- Klein, R. (2012). Responding to intimate violence against women: The role of informal networks. New York/Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press.