Associate Dean for Undergraduate and Teacher Education
Professor of Higher Education
129 Shibles Hall
University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469-5766
Bio: Ezekiel (Zeke) Kimball is Associate Dean for Undergraduate and Teacher Education and a Professor of Higher Education in the University of Maine College of Education and Human Development. His research focuses on: 1) disability identity development and disabled student success; 2) knowledge use and production in higher education; and 3) the relationships between identity, identity development, and postsecondary learning environments. Zeke presently serves as co-Executive Editor (along with Ryan Wells, University of Massachusetts Amherst) for the Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability as well as on the editorial board for the Journal of College Student Development. His work has been funded by the National Science Foundation, Spencer Foundation, and the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Although teaching somewhat infrequently at the moment, Zeke has previously taught courses related to student affairs practice, college student development, the history of higher education, disability studies and qualitative methods.
Ph.D., 2012, The Pennsylvania State University
M.S., 2008, University of Southern Maine
B.A., 2005, University of Southern Maine
- Moore, A., Kern, V., Carlson, A., Vaccaro, A., Kimball, E. W., Abbott, J. A., Troiano, P., & Newman, B. (2020). Constructing a sense of purpose and a professional teaching identity: Experiences of teacher candidates with disabilities. The Educational Forum, 84(3), 272-285.
- Bettencourt, G. M., Manly, C. A., Kimball, E., & Wells, R. S. (2020). STEM Degree completion and first-generation college students: A cumulative disadvantage approach to the outcomes gap. The Review of Higher Education 43(3), 753-779.
- Wells., R. S., Manly, C. A., Kommers, S., & Kimball, E. (2019). Narrowed gaps and persistent challenges: Examining rural-nonrural disparities in postsecondary outcomes over time. American Journal of Education, 126(1), 1-31.
- Kimball, E. & Thoma, H. (2019). Disability & postsecondary student experience: An ecological synthesis of recent literature. Journal of College Student Development, 60(5), 674-693.
- Kimball, E. & Friedensen, R. (2019). The search for meaning in higher education research: A discourse analysis of ASHE presidential addresses. The Review of Higher Education, 42(4), 1549-1574.
Connect with Dr. Kimball on Google Scholar.