Graduate Program - Application Procedure
The Math/Stats graduate faculty will prescreen your application. This way you will only need to pay the University’s application fee if you decide to accept our verbal offer.
For admissions requirements, go here.
Your application must consist of the following:
- Completed Graduate school application form with brief essay (300-500 words) describing your objectives.
- Three letters of recommendation. Letter writers should use the recommendation form. Letters should be sent directly to us from the letter writers to the address (snail-mail or email) below.
- GRE scores. We do not require the math subject GRE. Please include a scan (unofficial is fine) of your GRE scores with your application. If you decide to come, then you will be required to have your scores sent officially to UMaine from ETS.
- TOEFL scores (for non-native speakers). Same guidelines apply as for GRE scores.
- Undergraduate transcripts. An unofficial copy is fine, but if you accept an offer, you will need to send your official transcript to the graduate school.
Please arrange for the above items to be sent in PDF format to Math_Grad_Apps@umit.maine.edu
Alternatively, hard copies may be mailed to
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
5752 Neville Hall, Room 333
University of Maine
Orono, ME 04469-5752
There is no cost to apply using the above method. However, if you are given a verbal offer and you intend to come, then you must formally apply through the UMaine Graduate School’s application page with fee.
All applicants are automatically considered for Teaching Assistantships.
The application deadline is January 20, though late applications will likely receive full consideration. Initial decisions will be made in late February or March. Questions should be directed to the Graduate Coordinator.