IMRC Center, 101 Stewart Commons
Please join us to celebrate our UMaine postdoctoral researchers and learn about their research and how it impacts our state, country, and the world. The researchers will present 15-minute talks that are intended for a general audience, everyone is welcome to attend in-person or online.
This event is sponsored by the Office of the Vice President for Research and Dean of the Graduate School as part of National Postdoc Appreciation Week, September 19th – 23rd.
Register to attend via Zoom here.
No registration is required to attend in-person. In-person seating is limited to the first 75 attendees.
- Understanding the Nation’s Direct Seafood Marketing Sector
Dr. Sahir Advani, School of Marine Sciences
- Learn about Dr. Advani’s national survey of direct seafood marketing practices to understand the size and diversity of the domestic seafood sector as well as its contributions to the nation’s seafood systems.
- Building Models for Lobster Fisheries Management
Theresa Burnham, School of Marine Sciences
- Learn how Burnham builds socioeconomic indicators of resilience in Maine’s iconic American lobster fishery in order to incorporate human dimensions into fisheries management.
- Designing the Batteries of the Future
Dr. Dibyendu Dey, Physics and Astronomy
- Learn how Dr. Dey predicts an emerging class of 2D high-entropy alloys, which can be used for future applications in batteries, electronics, photovoltaics, and more.
- High-Value Recycling Through Chemistry
Dr. Matthew Kline, Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Learn how Dr. Kline is converting normally landfilled waste polyethylene (milk jugs, plastic bags, etc.) into chemicals that can be used to make detergents and other specialty chemicals.
- Reducing Insect-Borne Diseases Through Landscape Management
Dr. Andres Urcuqui-Bustamante, School of Forest Resources
- Learn how Dr. Urcuqui is helping find ways to reduce insect-borne diseases like Lyme by integrating data from forest ecology, social science and medical entomology to engage people in identifying landscape management solutions.