2023 Maine Food Waste Solutions Summit
Friday, April 14, 2023
10am – 12pm
Please join us online for Maine’s annual food waste education event!
We bring together our state’s food waste stakeholders – residents, farms, non-profits, businesses, feeding partners, community leaders, and government – to build a Maine food system where food is highly valued, put to best use, and never wasted.
Invite your family, friends and neighbors to hear why and how we should work together to end food waste in Maine.
Congresswoman Chellie Pingree, U.S. Representative for Maine’s 1st congressional district
Enjoy a Q&A session with students highlighting progress on bi-partisan legislation to end food waste.
Linda Breggin & Margaret Badding, Environmental Law Institute, Center for State, Tribal, and Local Environmental Programs
Learn about the link between climate change and food waste – and how to easily incorporate food waste into climate action planning.
Claudia Fabiano, Environmental Protection Specialist, U.S. Environmental Protection Administration “Food – Too Good To Waste” Network
Hear great food waste reduction, recovery, and recycling ideas from the EPA’s Food: Too Good To Waste national peer network of state and local food waste organizations.
Maine Food Waste Success Stories: Lessons from Maine’s own food waste heroes…
Leaders share their inspiring yet practical “triple bottom line” food waste solutions. Q&A will follow each presenter.
- Preble Street Food Insecurity Hub, Natalie Varrallo
- Hannaford Supermarkets: Zero Food Waste Program, George Parmenter
- Scrap Dogs Community Compost, Tessa Rosenberry & Davis Saltonstall
Maine Food Waste Pilots: Updates from our student interns and stakeholders…
Mitchell Center student interns present specific Maine food waste pilots developed with key stakeholders to test solutions and identify specific “triple bottom line” benefits.
- Solution: Track & Measure Food Waste – Maine Department of Corrections
Intern: Andrew MacMaster
- Solution: Track & Measure Food Waste – Northern Light Health & Maine Home Food Waste Challenge & Waste Watcher App
Intern: Halle Rogers
- Solution: Food Donation & Rescue – AIO Pantry Rockland & Community Fridges
Intern: Kate Flynn
- Solution: Education – Maine DOE/Child Nutrition: Buxton, Lisbon, Orono, Sebago
Interns: Eddie Nachamie & Andrew MacMaster
- Solution: Education – Food Rescue MAINE Website & Social Media
Intern: Hannah Mathieu
After Hours Session
We invite you to stay after and ask any additional questions, get any contacts or resources needed, and discuss any topics raised during the Summit with our Mitchell Center student and faculty food waste team.
If you have any questions or need more information,
please contact us at email@example.com or 207-581-3195.
Please register by April 13, 2023. Summit Details and Zoom connection information will follow.