Sydney Cheney Secures Stantec Internship

Sydney Cheney, EES 2014, isSyd Cheney one of three UMaine undergraduates participating in the Stantec Consulting Internship for the Summer and Fall 2013.  Syd will serve as a Wildlife Biology Field Intern for Bird and Bat Monitoring where she will  conduct one or more types of wildlife surveys at an operational wind project.  The position requires conducting daily searches for injured or dead birds and bats under operational wind turbines.  Other surveys may include acoustic bat surveys or raptor activity and behavior surveys.

When asked about the internship, Syd said, “The Stantec internship position was appealing to me for many reasons. Most importantly, I wanted to learn the ins and outs of conducting wildlife studies at a project that impacted my home State’s wildlife. As an intern for Stantec, I will gain experience working in the field. I will translate field data  into reports that the company can use to evaluate the effectiveness of their alternative energy resource.”

The Stantec Internship was established in 2013 and provides a stipend and living expenses to meritorious undergraduate students at UMaine, majoring in Ecology and Environmental Sciences, Wildlife Ecology, or related fields. Students who successfully complete the internship will receive at the end of their commitment to Stantec.

Congratulations Syd, on this significant opportunity!