What is a Non-Degree Student?

A non-degree student is a student not currently enrolled in a degree program. Non-degree status is typically used for students that:

  • have applied for admission to UMaine and are waiting to be admitted
  • wish to enroll in a course for personal or professional growth
    have already earned a degree but would like to continue their education with coursework
  • are considering applying into a degree program in the future and would like to try a few courses beforehand

Undergraduate course options are available on the University of Maine Undergraduate Catalog website: catalog.umaine.edu

Interested in a Course?

Students with a high school diploma may complete and submit the non-degree registration form.

Students may also pick up a registration form at the Division of Lifelong Learning Advising Center (122 Chadbourne Hall, UMaine Campus, Orono). Students too busy or too far away to come to the campus may register by phone by calling 207.581.3143 between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday–Friday.

REGISTER EARLY to ensure that a place will be available in the selected course(s).

Note: If the course you wish to take requires a prerequisite, you must submit a transcript with evidence that you have completed the requirement.

Transition to Degree Program

Undergraduate non-degree students interested in changing to degree status must submit an application at: go.umaine.edu/apply. Undergraduate non-degree students are strongly encouraged to transition into a degree program.

Financial Assistance

Non-degree seeking students are prohibited by federal regulations from receiving federal financial assistance. However, scholarships are available to qualifying students to cover part or all of the cost of tuition. Financial counseling is also available through the Maine Educational Opportunity Center (MEOC), which is a federal education initiative established to promote access to post-secondary education for traditionally underrepresented adult populations within the State of Maine: meoc.maine.edu.

Meet With an Advisor

Not sure what program of study is right for you? In order to best serve non-degree students, an advising appointment is recommended to discuss goals and answer questions. Students should contact the Division of Lifelong Learning’s Advising Center to enroll or request academic assistance at 207.581.3143 or umaine.edu/dlladvising/contact-us.