Ocean Technology in New England and Atlantic Canada: Promoting a Network of Collaboration
The Ocean Technology sectors of New England and Atlantic Canada are comprised of companies, institutions, and organizations dedicated to ocean and marine-related technology, education, training, research and development, promotion, delivery and application. The technology is used to deliver solutions and generate efficiencies through safe and sustainable exploration, development, monitoring and use of ocean resources.
The region boasts world-renowned institutions, companies, industry associations and cluster organizations that are engaged in providing solutions for offshore energy development, fisheries and aquaculture, ocean observation and monitoring, transportation, climate change adaptation, marine recreation and tourism, and defense and security.
This conference aims to facilitate conversations among cluster organizations with a goal to promoting integration of the growing Ocean Technology sectors in New England and Atlantic Canada towards joint R&D, product development and technology transfer opportunities.
Proceedings of the conference will be video recorded and shared on this portal.
Venue: Buchanan Alumni House
- 6:00PM: Reception – sponsored by the Consulate General of Canada in Boston
- 7:00PM: Dinner with opening remarks by Neville Gilfoy, Progress Magazine
- 8:00AM: Networking breakfast
- 9:00AM: Session 1 – Marine Food & Aquaculture and Resource Utilization
- 10:15AM: Refreshment break – sponsored by Maine Sea Grant
- 10:45AM: Session 2 – Offshore Energy & Marine Infrastructure
- Nate Johnson, Ocean Renewable Power Company
- Habib Dagher, UMaine Advanced Structures & Composites Center
- Bruce Colbourne, Memorial University Dept. of Ocean & Naval Architectural Engineering
- Chair: Krish Thiagarajan, UMaine Ocean Engineering
- 12:00PM: Lunch
- 1:00PM: Session 3 – Ocean Observation & Science
- 2:15PM: Session 4 – Marine Transportation
- 3:30PM: Conference concludes
- 4:00PM: Tour of Harold Alfond W2 Ocean Engineering Lab
Staying in the Bangor/Orono area
We recommend the Hilton Garden Inn. When booking, mention that you are with the Maine International Trade Center to take advantage of their $125 corporate rate! We also recommend the Hampton Inn (near the Hilton) or the University Inn in Orono. Click here for additional lodging options.
A list of favorite Orono restaurants may be found here.
Disclaimer: The information and recommendations in the above linked pages do not represent the views of the Canadian-American Center, Maine International Trade Center, or any of the 2016 Ocean Technology Conference sponsors.
Locations & Parking
The dinner and keynote speech on Wednesday evening, 4/27, will take place in the Buchanan Alumni House. Parking is available on-site.
Conference proceedings on Thursday, 4/28, will occur at Wells Conference Center. Designated parking will be available for registered attendees in the nearby Dunn and Corbett lots.
We offer discounted rates for students wishing to attend the 2016 Ocean Technology conference.