December 7, 2013 at the Hilton Garden Inn in Bangor, Maine. Focus of the conference is on herd health.
Beef Production Information
- Maine Beef Newsletter Sign-up, News and events of interest to beef producers in Maine from the University of Maine Cooperative Extension, Maine Department of Agriculture, Maine Beef Producers, and other agriculture organizations in Maine.
- Agricultural Alternatives, Penn State University. Includes fact sheets on Beef Backgrounding Production, Beef Cow-Calf Production, Dairy Beef, and Feeding Beef Cattle.
- Iowa Beef Center, Iowa State University
- Nebraska Beef Cattle Production, University of Nebraska Lincoln. Includes learning modules, beef home study course, current Ag prices, profit tips, beef forum and more.
- Kentucky Beef Book, University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service
- U of M Beef Center, University of Minnesota
- Montana Beef Cattle Extension Program, Montana State University
- Oklahoma State University Beef Fact Sheets, over 120 publications on all aspects of beef production
- Beef Cattle Handbook — CDROM, MidWest Plan Service — Iowa State University, 145 articles and extension publications on a wide range of topics of interest to the beef producer. Order for $25
- Raising Beef Cattle on a Few Acres, Utah State University. Good for backyard beef.
Beef Health Information
Pasture and Crops for Beef Production
4-H Youth Program Information
Buildings and Equipment for Beef
- Beef Housing and Equipment Handbook, Bulletin #1001, Mid West Plan Service, University of Maine Cooperative Extension: Information on cow-calf, cattle handling, and cattle feeding facilities; feed storage, processing and handling; water and waterers; manure management; farmstead planning, building construction, materials, ventilation and insulation; fences; gates and utilities. 133 pages with index, 1986. $15
- Dr. Temple Grandin’s website, Livestock Behavior, Design of Facilities, and Humane Slaughter
Farm Taxes & Recordkeeping
USDA Marketing News and Standards
Beef Quality Assurance
- Beef Quality Assurance, Beef Quality Assurance is a national program that provides guidelines for beef cattle production. The program raises consumer confidence through offering proper management techniques and a commitment to quality within every segment of the beef industry. There are links to video training on BQA at this site.
- Pennsylvania Beef Quality Assurance
Maine Beef Related Organizations
Extension Beef Contact Person: Donna.Coffin@maine.edu, 207.564.3301 or in Maine 1.800.287.1491
Image Description: Print Friendly
Image Description: Beef Cow and Calf
Image Description: woman with red angus cows in a pasture; photo by Edwin remsberg, USDA