Skip Navigation
Return to Layout View | Home | A-Z Directory | my UMaine | MaineStreet | Campus Map | Calendar
Follow UMaine on Twitter | Join UMaine on Facebook | Watch UMaine on YouTube | Admissions | Parents & Family | Apply | Give Now | Emergency

Cooperative Extension: Food & Health

Site Navigation:

Food Preservation

Rising food costs have persuaded more than the usual number of Mainers to plant gardens. You may be thinking about preserving your harvest for the first time—or dusting off old canning equipment. If you plan to can garden surplus this year, be sure to get up-to-date information. Updated recommendations are as close as your local UMaine Extension office: call 800-287-0274 to find an office near you.

A national survey conducted by the USDA-NIFA National Center for Home Food Preservation in 2000 found that many people use canning practices that put them at high risk for foodborne illness. Over the years, changes in scientific expertise as well as canning equipment have occurred, so there is new information on the right type of methods, canners, jars, and seals. For instance, there are two types of canners for home canning: the boiling water-bath canner, and the pressure canner. Using the pressure canner for low-acid foods such as vegetables, meats, poultry, and fish is a must to prevent botulism. The water-bath canner is used for high-acid foods such as fruits, jams, and jellies.

According to Extension Educator Jane Conroy, the first step is to take an inventory of your canning supplies to determine what you have and what you might need. “Be careful to make sure the gasket on your pressure canner is in good condition, and get your dial gauge tested annually,” said Conroy. Pressure canner gauges can be tested at most UMaine Extension offices, and some offices are offering hands-on workshops.

Related Resources

Image Description: Print Friendly

Image Description: Two Extension experts demonstrate proper canning techniques; photo by Edwin remsberg, USDA


University of Maine Cooperative Extension

Contact Information

Cooperative Extension: Food & Health
5741 Libby Hall
Orono, Maine 04469-5741
Phone: 207.581.3188, 800.287.0274 (in Maine) or 800.287.8957 (TDD)E-mail:
The University of Maine
Orono, Maine 04469
A Member of the University of Maine System