The following information provides a synopsis of my professional productivity, effort, and contributions as of July 2022.
Competitive Grants and Research Support:
- PI or Co-PI of over $15 million in grants and contracts from NIH, NSF, NIDILRR, USDA, and others.
- 26 extramural grants and supplements, 13 industrial collaborations, and 20 internal grants
- Over 30 national / international grant collaborators
- University leading 29 undergraduate research awards supporting VEMI students
- Consultant for 14 Phase I and II SBIR / STTR projects and start-up companies
Academic Products / Publications:
Over 200 academic products, including:
- Significant basic and applied research contributions to over a dozen disciplines
- 44 peer-reviewed journal articles / book chapters, 2 essay’s, 1 policy/technical brief, 6 edited books / technical reports, 26 fully refereed conference proceedings, 111 conference presentations, and 15 theses (as 1st advisor).
- 117 national / international collaborators, with N.A. Giudice lead or senior / corresponding author on ~90% of all products.
- 16 student research excellence awards
- 32 student co-authors, with ~59% student led publications
- ~68% of all products include student collaboration
Student Advising, Mentoring, and Committee Participation:
Over 111 students advised, including:
- Supervisor for 2 postdocs, 5 staff, 7 Post-Bachelor students, 68 undergraduate students, 3 internships, 9 high school student research experience / summer internships, and 4 Top Scholar students.
- Transdisciplinary focus with VEMI student backgrounds from 22 disciplines (6 current).
- 98% of graduated VEMI students are employed or enrolled in terminal graduate degrees.
Member of 21 student committees, including:
- 1st advisor for 5 doctoral students, 10 masters students, 2 undergraduate honors theses, and 4 undergraduate capstone projects.
- I teach graduate and undergraduate courses in the areas of human-computer interaction, virtual reality and research, spatial cognition, and experimental design.
Professional service and leadership:
- Chair / co-chair of 12 scientific conferences.
- Member of 17 conference / workshop program committees.
- Member of the Board of Directors of 3 blindness-related organizations: American Council of the Blind (ACB) of Maine, Maine Organization for blind athletic leadership and education (MOBALE), and the Iris Network.
- Member of 3 scientific advisory boards: The Access Computing Alliance, Click and Go Wayfinding Maps, LLC., and AIRA Tech Corp.
Institutional and Editorial Service:
Involvement on 26 university committees including:
- 9 on information technology, inclusion, and accessibility, 6 on research and resources, 2 on curriculum review, 4 on policy development, 2 search committees, 1 award nomination committee, and 2 faculty mentorship.
Reviewer for over 60 scientific outlets, including:
- 45 journals / conferences, 11 research grants, 2 books, and 2 expert commentaries
Media, News, and Public outreach:
Over 72 media / publicity pieces, including
- VEMI is the University leader in hosting tours and public outreach exhibitions to UMaine students / stakeholders.
- We have conducted more than 300 VEMI public education tours / outreach experiences since 2009.
- We have exposed over 15,000 people to our work through interactive demos and experiential learning opportunities since 2009.