The following information provides a synopsis of my professional productivity, effort, and contributions as of March 2020.
Competitive Grants and Research Support:
- PI or Co-PI of over $14.5 million in grants and contracts from NIH, NSF, NIDILRR, USDA, and others.
- 25 extramural grants and supplements, 13 industrial collaborations, and 20 internal grants
- Over 30 national / international grant collaborators
- University leading 29 undergraduate research awards supporting VEMI students
- Consultant for 14 Phase I and II SBIR / STTR projects and start-up companies
Academic Products / Publications:
Over 200 academic products, including:
- Significant basic and applied research contributions to over a dozen disciplines
- 44 peer-reviewed journal articles / book chapters, 6 edited books / technical reports, 136 conference proceedings / presentations, 15 theses (1st advisor), 64 invited talks / panels / key note presentations.
- 117 national / international collaborators,
- 16 student research excellence awards
- 32 student co-authors
- ~70% of all products include student collaboration
Student Advising, Mentoring, and Committee Participation:
Over 100 students advised, including:
- 1st advisor for 5 doctoral students (1 current), 10 Masters students, 2 undergraduate honors thesis, and 4 undergraduate capstone projects.
- Supervisor for 7 Post-Bachelor students, 72 undergraduate students (7 current), 3 internships and 9 high school student research internships.
- Transdisciplinary focus with VEMI Student backgrounds from over a dozen disciplines
- 100% of graduated VEMI students are employed or enrolled in terminal graduate degrees.
Member of 11 student committees, including:
- 5 doctoral committees (1 current), 9 Masters committees, and 2 undergraduate honors committee.
- I teach graduate and undergraduate courses in the areas of human-computer interaction, virtual reality and research, spatial cognition, and experimental design.
Professional service and leadership:
- Chair / co-chair of 12 scientific conferences.
- Member of 17 conference / workshop program committees.
- Member of the Board of Directors of 3 blindness-related organizations: American Council of the Blind (ACB) of Maine, Maine Organization for blind athletic leadership and education (MOBALE), and the Iris Network.
- Member of 3 scientific advisory boards: The Access Computing Alliance, Click and Go Wayfinding Maps, LLC., and AIRA Tech Corp.
Institutional and Editorial Service:
Involvement on 25 university committees including:
- 9 on information technology / accessibility, 6 on research and resources, 2 on curriculum review, 4 on policy development, 2 search committees, 1 award nomination committee, and 1 faculty mentorship.
Reviewer for over 60 scientific outlets, including:
- 45 journals / conferences, 11 research grants, 2 books, and 2 expert commentaries
Media, News, and Public outreach:
Over 72 media / publicity pieces, including
- VEMI is the University leader in hosting tours and public outreach exhibitions to UMaine students / stakeholders.
- We have conducted more than 300 VEMI public education tours / outreach experiences since 2009.
- We have exposed over 15,000 people to our work through interactive demos and experiential learning opportunities since 2009.