Brief overview of UMaine funding from Harold Alfond and the Harold Alfond Foundation
Since 1986, the Alfond Foundation has awarded $18 million in gifts and pledges to UMaine.
- Alfond Arena, Alfond Stadium, Alfond W2 Ocean Engineering Lab, and Alfond Advanced Manufacturing Lab for Structural Thermoplastics are named in honor of Harold Alfond and the support of the Harold Alfond Foundation.
- Harold Alfond himself gave $3.8 million to UMaine, beginning with his $500,000 gift for Alfond Arena.
- The vision and leadership of Harold Alfond and the Harold Alfond Foundation have transformed the University of Maine campus and its statewide mission as Maine’s land grant university. UMaine is the state’s only public research university and NCAA Division I athletics program. Over many years, investments by Harold Alfond and the Harold Alfond Foundation have strengthened those distinctions to benefit Maine and beyond.
- Generous capital investments and operating support in UMaine athletics, particularly the football and men’s ice hockey programs, have had a major impact. Harold Alfond Sports Arena and Harold Alfond Stadium are preeminent facilities on campus, serving student-athletes and Black Bear Nation fans, and countless numbers of community members. Most recently, the Alfond Fund launched a new chapter in Black Bear annual fundraising.
- Harold Alfond Foundation investments also made history with the establishment of the prestigious Stephen E. King Chair in Literature in honor of UMaine’s preeminent alumnus.
- Harold Alfond Foundation investments in UMaine innovation and research include significant contributions to establish the Alfond W2 Ocean Engineering Lab and the Alfond Advanced Manufacturing Lab for Structural Thermoplastics, both at the internationally recognized Advanced Structures and Composites Center. Both laboratories support cutting-edge research and provide hands-on educational opportunities for tomorrow’s workforce.
- A challenge grant to the University of Maine System established the new Portland-based University of Maine Graduate and Professional Center, which brings together programs in law, business, policy, and public health to train the workforce of the future and grow Maine’s economy. This center is critical to offering UMaine’s nationally recognized MBA degree statewide and beyond.
- The Harold Alfond Foundation created a leadership endowment fund in the University of Maine System to enable the University of Maine to compete nationally for a top-tier president and to help incentivize a long-term commitment to the state.