Disclosing Your Disability Without Requesting Accommodations
- Student completes Student Accessibility Services Intake Form
- Student provides documentation of disability according to SAS guidelines
- If desired, student meets with SAS staff to discuss University resources
- Student put on SAS list to receive academic and scholarship information
Requesting Academic Accommodations
Requesting academic accommodations is a separate process from applying for admission to the University of Maine. In order to be considered for accommodations with Student Accessibility Services, students must first submit documentation of the disability according to SAS guidelines and meet with Student Accessibility Services Professional Staff to discuss accommodation requests. Students who would like information about the registration process should contact email@example.com.
Process for Requesting Accommodations From Student Accessibility Services (SAS)
- Student makes appointment to meet with the Student Accessibility Services Professional Staff.
- Student completes a Student Accessibility Services Intake Form. Forms are also available by calling or stopping by the SAS office.
- Student provides documentation of disability according to SAS guidelines. One of the following documentation forms should be presented to the student’s physician/psychologist for completion. You may need to sign a release form and provide it to your clinician prior to having him or her send the documentation to us Authorization to Release and Exchange Information Form (PDF). Forms are also available by calling or stopping by the SAS office in East Annex.
Click on the form below associated with your disability to download a copy of the guidelines for Documentation of Disability
- Documentation Guidelines for a Learning Disability (PDF)
- Documentation Guidelines for ADD / ADHD (PDF)
- Documentation Guidelines for Psychological Disorders (PDF)
- Documentation Guidelines for Physical or Chronic Health Related Disabilities (PDF)
- Documentation Guidelines for all other disabilities (PDF)
- Student meets with the Student Accessibility Services Professional Staff to determine eligibility under SAS guidelines and discuss accommodation process. Once eligibility is determined students need only complete the Accommodation Request Form each semester and need not meet with SAS Professional Staff unless accommodation changes are being requested.
- If determined eligible, student requests accommodation and fills out the Accommodation Request Form given to student by a SAS staff member. Forms are also available by calling or stopping by the SAS office.
- SAS Office prepares the letter of accommodation.
- Students pick up the letters in person or are emailed an PDF copy of the letter from SAS according to their preference.
- Student delivers the letter to faculty.